Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Movie review

1. Sep 13, 2005 #1

Lisa!

Gold Member

Is it possible to review some of movies which concerns a particular period of history? I mean we can discuss art and history at the same time. Talking about the movie itself and the historical facts. And how much the movie was successful in telling the facts! I think "A man for all seasons" which is made by Fred Zineman could be a good example. I also like discussing Oliver Stone's documentaries.:rolleyes:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2005 #2

matthyaouw

Gold Member

Troy- S**t
    The Oddysey- S**t

4. Sep 13, 2005 #3
    Anyone seen Downfall?

5. Sep 13, 2005 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Anyone seen King Arthur? What did you think of it?

6. Sep 13, 2005 #5

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I did. Outstanding performances. I thought the portraying of "Hitler as human" was striking. "Hitler/Nazis were monsters" is a myth; they were all too human. Anyone may have a Hitler or Goedel lurking just beneath their socially visible contours, "waiting" for the "right circumstances" to "take over."

Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  7. Sep 13, 2005 #6

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Clive Owen is HAwWwWT! :!!) Sorry, that's about all I was thinking.

I'm not familiar with the usual Guinevere character, but I suspected that they made her more aggressive and macho and gave her a more prominent role to, you know, make her more like a 'modern woman'. Was she like that in the traditional story?

8. Sep 13, 2005 #7

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Nope; he's just a scare-Crowe.
    Was there anything else of worth with the movie??
    We just had a general election in Norway, and the parties had basically the same politics, I voted for the party with the cutest candidate.
    I find that to be a perfectly rational attitude.
    Guinevere, or Gwenwhyfar, is originally some Celtic goddess incorporated in the Arthurian legends, just like Morgana le Fay is.

9. Sep 13, 2005 #8

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Yeah, it was entertaining and well done all-around. I've been meaning to see it again, in fact. I remember the fighting and battles being powerful. It seemed realistic - a 'what if the legends were true' kind of thing. Or perhaps there's reason to think that the legends are true. I don't know.

10. Sep 13, 2005 #9

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I never bother to see either "King Arthur" or "Alexander". Guess my tolerance of "epic movies" plummeted after watching "Troy"

11. Sep 13, 2005 #10

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry I meant (Joseph) Goebbels not (Kurt) Goedel. Who, BTW was a mathematician wasn't he? OTOH, far better to have a Goedel lurk inside of you than a Goebbels.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  12. Sep 13, 2005 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Since Goedel went mad I'm not too sure.
    On the other hand, women seemed to flock around him, so having Goedel quirks might be desirable for some of the PF'ers..

13. Sep 13, 2005 #12
    Yes, it was excellent. I highly recommend it to anybody- especially people interested in historical movies.

14. Sep 13, 2005 #13

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hm... A genius/crazy mathematician with middle-class background who was a ladies' man, versus a devoted husband and father with a working-class background who became the Nazi propaganda minister, and ended up with murdering his family before committing suicide?

15. Sep 13, 2005 #14
    That's not marketable. Have his family murdered by communist robots from the future; then you've got yourself a movie.

16. Sep 13, 2005 #15

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

Which traditional story? There are at least several hundred existing verions of Arthurian legends, not all of which are consistent with one another. In some of the earliest incarnations that included Guinevere, she is portrayed as having a very good amount of sway, sometimes even more than Arthur, but she's very ladylike and genteel. As time went on and kings became more and more powerful, eventually the legend evolved into the familiar 'all-powerful Arthur' story.

17. Sep 13, 2005 #16

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I seem to remember her as pretty passive in Malory's Morte d'Arthur, probably the main high medieval retelling of the story. Of course you can have Camelot or T.H. White's magnificent version - I think The Ill-Made Knight is the one for Lancelot and Guenevire.

18. Sep 14, 2005 #17

honestrosewater

Gold Member

Okay, I don't know much about the stories. Are there Irish stories of Arthur? Do they have a different take on things?

19. Sep 14, 2005 #18

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Cool movie

BS historically.

20. Sep 14, 2005 #19

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I didn't see troy so I think I don't have the disease

21. Sep 14, 2005 #20

Lisa!

Gold Member

Is it a movie review?:confused: :biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?