Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moving electrons: magnetic and electric fields

1. Aug 16, 2009 #1
    Ok I have a general question. Say I have a bunch of electrons moving in a line, not in a wire, but I guess it could be looked at as if it was in a wire.

This is my question: So if i picked a point outside of this line of moving electrons, would I find an electric field?

I know that there is a magnetic field for sure, and I know that if the electrons were NOT moving, that there would be an electric field. What I'm not sure of is if the magnetic field replaces the electric field or not.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 16, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Yes.

You can have both kinds of fields simultaneously.

4. Aug 16, 2009 #3
    If you consider bunches of electrons travelling at (nearly) the speed of light in a vacuum tube (for example at the Stanford Linear Accelerator Center), the bunched structure of the electrons gives rise to electric fields. The same is true for a certain class of microwave electron tubes called klystrons.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook