Exercise 5.6.24 from Arfken - Calculate y'_0

• Thread starter thesaruman
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves finding the linear combination of a function tabulated at equally spaced values of the argument, which results in the derivative of the function at the central point. The solution involves using a formula for the derivatives of even orders and a geometric average for the odd ones, as well as using the Taylor expansion of the function. After some trial and error, it was found that the solution is simply to expand all terms in the linear combination and truncate the expansion at 5th order.
thesaruman

Homework Statement

Exercise 5.6.24 from Arfken's Essential Mathematical Methods for Physicists. You have a function tabulated at equally spaced values of the argument:
[tex]\left\{ \begin{array}{c}
y_n=y(x_n)\\x_n = x+nh \end{array}\right.[/tex]
Show that the linear combination
[tex]\frac{1}{12h}\left\{ -y_2+8y_1-8y_{-1}+y_{-2} \right\}[/tex]
yields
[tex] y'_0-\frac{h^4}{30}y^{(5)}_0+\cdots . [/tex]

Homework Equations

I used:
[tex]\frac{d^ny_0}{dx^n}=\sum_{m=0}^n(-1)^n\left( \begin{array}{c}
n\\ m \end{array} \right)y_{\frac{n}{2}-m}[/tex] for the derivatives of an even order and a geometric average between the backward and forward derivatives for the odd ones.
Keep in mind that [tex]y(x)=y_0[/tex], [tex]y(x+h)=y_1[/tex],...
Also used the Taylor expansion of y(x+h):
[tex]f(x+h)=\sum_{m=0}^\infty \frac{h^n}{n!}f^{(n)}(x)[/tex].

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I solved the Taylor expansion for [tex] y'_0 [/tex] and tried to modify the result accordingly with the equation the author expressed. But there was no way to get it fit. I guess I didn't understand how the author calculates the derivative of the function.
Please, someone help. I am getting crazy with the exercises of this book.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I finally got the answer and it was very simple in fact!
It's only necessary to expand all the terms enclosed in the parenthesis and truncate the expansion in 5th order.

1. What is Exercise 5.6.24 in Arfken?

Exercise 5.6.24 is a mathematical exercise from the book "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by George B. Arfken and Hans J. Weber. It involves calculating the derivative of a function y with respect to a variable x.

2. Why is it important to calculate y'_0?

Calculating the derivative of a function at a specific point can provide valuable information about the behavior of the function at that point. It can also help in solving equations and finding the maximum or minimum values of a function.

3. What are the steps to calculate y'_0?

To calculate y'_0, you first need to differentiate the function y with respect to x. Then, substitute the value of x=0 into the derivative expression to find the value of y'_0.

4. Can this exercise be solved using different methods?

Yes, there are multiple methods that can be used to solve this exercise, such as the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. The method used may depend on the complexity of the function y.

5. What are some applications of finding the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function has many applications in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields. It can be used to calculate rates of change, determine the slope of a curve, find the velocity and acceleration of an object, and much more.