MRI & White Gold: Is Heating a Risk?

In summary, the ring felt like it was vibrating at the same frequency as the MRI machine, and it started to heat up when the machine was activated. The metal in the ring was likely iron, nickel, or cobalt, which are common ferromagnetic metals. It is recommended that all jewelry be removed before entering an MRI room in order to reduce the risk of injury.
razidan
Hi,
So I recently had to get an MRI. I forgot to take off my wedding ring, but the technicians said it's ok "if it's real gold".
I told them it was white gold (which is an alloy of 58.5% gold and the rest is other metals). They said it was fine, but later told me they didn't really know what white gold was.

Anyway, the second the machine started blasting radio waves, I felt a... Response... from the ring. It felt kind of like vibrations that matched the frequency of the machine.
It started heating, so I took it off.

So, here's my question. I'm assuming metals heat up because of induced current. But, then, why would gold be fine? I think it's because it has very low resistance, and therefore would not heat up as much?

And another question, they let me have earphones on and played music while the machine was going. How did the machine not interfere with the current in the earphones?

Thanks,
R.

Science news on Phys.org
razidan said:
Anyway, the second the machine started blasting radio waves, I felt a... Response... from the ring. It felt kind of like vibrations that matched the frequency of the machine.
It started heating, so I took it off.

So, here's my question. I'm assuming metals heat up because of induced current. But, then, why would gold be fine? I think it's because it has very low resistance, and therefore would not heat up as much?
I would recommend taking all jewelry off before entering the MRI room. I know that certain metals are OK, but since you typically don’t have metallurgical study data on your jewelry, I feel it is safer just to take it off.

Given that you felt forces on the ring then it is likely that some of the alloy was iron, nickel, or cobalt which are the most common ferromagnetic metals.

The pulsing you heard was the magnetic gradient fields, and those would have been trying to get the ferromagnetic domains in the metal to align with a changing field. The hysteresis in doing so would heat up the ring.

razidan said:
And another question, they let me have earphones on and played music while the machine was going. How did the machine not interfere with the current in the earphones?
Usually the earphones do not have any current. The sound is piped in through a pneumatic tube. It degrades the sound quality quite a bit, but preserves the image quality.

razidan said:
... but the technicians said it's ok...
Search the web for MRI accidents, to find some gruesome stuff where some technician though it was OK. Taking off a ring is not really that much trouble.

Just don't volunteer to carry an oxygen canister into an MRI room...

I'm not sure how these technicians were trained in safety, but the two times that I've accompanied someone to have an MRI done, the instruction explicitly indicated to not have ANY metallic item on the person.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I'm not sure how these technicians were trained in safety, but the two times that I've accompanied someone to have an MRI done, the instruction explicitly indicated to not have ANY metallic item on the person
The technologists will do what they are trained to do, but unfortunately some places vary in their safety standards. I think that all patients should remove all clothing and jewelry and change into hospital scrubs. Too many items of clothing contain metal, and too many items of jewelry also. Removable dental items and prosthetics also.

Dale said:
Given that you felt forces on the ring then it is likely that some of the alloy was iron, nickel, or cobalt which are the most common ferromagnetic metals.

The pulsing you heard was the magnetic gradient fields, and those would have been trying to get the ferromagnetic domains in the metal to align with a changing field. The hysteresis in doing so would heat up the ring.
Thanks, would a non-ferromagnetic metal react at all?

A.T. said:
Search the web for MRI accidents, to find some gruesome stuff where some technician though it was OK. Taking off a ring is not really that much trouble.

ZapperZ said:
Just don't volunteer to carry an oxygen canister into an MRI room...

I'm not sure how these technicians were trained in safety, but the two times that I've accompanied someone to have an MRI done, the instruction explicitly indicated to not have ANY metallic item on the person.

Zz.

Dale said:
The technologists will do what they are trained to do, but unfortunately some places vary in their safety standards. I think that all patients should remove all clothing and jewelry and change into hospital scrubs. Too many items of clothing contain metal, and too many items of jewelry also. Removable dental items and prosthetics also.

Thanks for the responses, and no disrespect, but my question was about the physics and not safety issues. next time i'll remember to remove the ring.

razidan said:
Thanks, would a non-ferromagnetic metal react at all?
You can get eddy currents in non ferromagnetic metal, but that would not be significant for something the size of a ring.

razidan said:
I told them it was white gold (which is an alloy of 58.5% gold and the rest is other metals)
It looks like nickel is commonly used in white gold, so that is probably the source of the force.

Last edited:
Likes sophiecentaur
You were probably feeling the effects of eddy currents induced in your ring by the pulsed magnetic fields in the gradient coils. Dissipation will cause heating, and Lenz's Law tells you that your ring will experience a force as well.

What a way to find out your dentist is watering down the gold in your fillings [emoji32]

1. What is MRI and how does it work?

MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) is a medical imaging technique that uses a strong magnetic field and radio waves to create detailed images of the inside of the body. The magnetic field causes the hydrogen atoms in our body to align in a certain way, and then the radio waves are used to disrupt this alignment and create a signal that is picked up by the MRI machine. This signal is processed by a computer to create images of the body's tissues and organs.

2. What is white gold and why is it used in medical devices?

White gold is an alloy made of gold and other white metals, such as palladium or nickel. It is commonly used in medical devices, including MRI machines, due to its non-magnetic properties. This means it will not be affected by the strong magnetic field in the MRI machine, making it safe for use in medical settings.

3. Is heating a risk when undergoing an MRI scan with white gold implants?

Heating can be a potential risk for individuals with white gold implants undergoing an MRI scan. This is because the strong magnetic field can cause the metal in the implant to heat up, potentially causing discomfort or even burns. However, modern MRI machines have safety features in place to minimize this risk, and the majority of white gold implants are safe to have an MRI scan with.

4. Are there any alternative materials to white gold that can be used for medical implants?

There are a few alternative materials that can be used for medical implants, including titanium and ceramic. These materials are also non-magnetic and safe for use in MRI machines. However, they may not have the same aesthetic appearance as white gold, which is why it is still commonly used for certain implants.

5. What precautions should be taken for individuals with white gold implants undergoing an MRI scan?

If you have white gold implants and need to undergo an MRI scan, it is important to inform your doctor and the MRI technologist beforehand. They may request that you remove any jewelry or accessories containing white gold before the scan. Additionally, you will be monitored during the scan to ensure that there is no heating or discomfort caused by the implants. If you experience any discomfort, inform the technologist immediately.