Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mudwrestling Physics

1. May 27, 2008 #1
    What can you tell me about the physics of mudwrestling (naked)? I have a big match this weekend and I want to have a competitive edge so I am calling on those that know and thus own the universe.

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2008 #2
    If you have a video of any previous matches I can tell you how to improve your technique. :D

4. May 27, 2008 #3
    You do realise I'm a bloke, right??

5. May 27, 2008 #4
    F = ma. Keep this in mind as you wrestle and you should do OK.

6. May 27, 2008 #5
    Mud wrestler yourself?

7. May 27, 2008 #6
    32 wins, 1 defeat. Einstein cleaned my clock in '54.

8. May 27, 2008 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's because Eistein used [itex]\mathbf{F} =d \mathbf{p}/dt[/itex]

You would have held your own against Newton ... unless, of course, he was standing on one of them giants' shoulders.

9. May 27, 2008 #8
    I know. I tried to pace myself and not go too fast, but I should have known that this classic approach wouldn't work.

10. May 27, 2008 #9
    Lesley, one thing you are going to want to watch out for when you get into the mud is if your opponent starts to build up too much energy in the ground state. Here, I recommend Feynmann's approach where you renormalize to neutralize all of that energy. Among physicists, Feynmann had the greatest promise as a mud-wrestler. However, he refused to dirty himself. If that didn't leave him without a stain on his character, I don't know what did leave him without one. Among the classicists, Newton would have you wear down your opponent a little bit at a time, whereas Lagrange's approach would be to take the path to victory in one fell swoop. Going further back there's Archimedes' gambit, but I think it's a violation to bring a lever into the mud pit now.

11. May 27, 2008 #10

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Lagrange learned that technique from Fermat.

12. May 27, 2008 #11
    I always was better at mud-wrestling than physics. Like the time I went up against the tag team of Wein, Rayleigh, and Jeans, It started out with just Rayleigh and Jeans coming at me. Then in the middle of the bout they all ganged up on me. But in the end, they all had to drop out except Wein or it would have ended in a catastrophe. In sum, Planck had to rescue all three of them.

13. May 27, 2008 #12
    I've heard this word used by British people quite often, but I can never figure out what it means from the context. What's a bloke?

14. May 27, 2008 #13

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A male human being (in this context).

15. May 27, 2008 #14

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Eeeewwwww. No, from the name and the sport, I didn't. Ack, I just lost my lunch :yuck:

16. May 27, 2008 #15

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would have assumed Lesley Bian = Lesbian.

17. May 27, 2008 #16

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

18. May 28, 2008 #17
    8.57% Didn't know that. Wonder what it is here in Australia. Ah well. I was born female but had an operation at around age 17.

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  19. May 28, 2008 #18
    If the wrestle bigins with clothes, make sure you wedgie your opponent good before your rip their clothing off. That will leave them incapacitated for a few seconds, while you hammer home your advantage and emerge victorious.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?