Multimeter Peak Voltage Reading

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the peak voltage of an AC current produced by a sensor connected to an alternator on a motorcycle. The workshop manual recommends using a peak voltage adapter on a multimeter, but the individual does not want to purchase it. They suggest using the RMS reading on the multimeter and multiplying it by sqrt(2) to get the peak voltage, but it is uncertain if multimeters display RMS readings when measuring AC voltage. Another suggestion is to use the max function on the multimeter, but it will only give max fluctuations in the RMS value, not the peak reading. It is then recommended to use an oscilloscope or build a peak probe to get an accurate peak reading. The conversation also discusses using a diode
Hondaboi1729
Hi,

I need to find the peak voltage of the ac current produced by the sensor connected to the alternator on my motorcycle. The workshop manual recommended a peak voltage adapter which goes on a multimeter.
I don't want to buy this expensive thing.
I was wondering since Vp=Vrms*sqrt (2). I can just use the reading on the multimeter and multiply it by sqrt (2). However when you are measuring the AC voltage with a multimeter does it display the RMS?;The readings aren't going to fluctuate rapidly as the voltage of the AC changes is it?

Secondly I also thought if the above didn't work I could just use the max function on the multimeter to work it out? That way at the end the peak voltage will be displayed. Is this a good idea?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hondaboi1729 said:
However when you are measuring the AC voltage with a multimeter does it display the RMS?;

most multimeters read RMS unless otherwise stated

Hondaboi1729 said:
The readings aren't going to fluctuate rapidly as the voltage of the AC changes is it?

no

Hondaboi1729 said:
Secondly I also thought if the above didn't work I could just use the max function on the multimeter to work it out? That way at the end the peak voltage will be displayed. Is this a good idea?

That's not going to give you a peak reading, it's only going to give you max fluctuations in the RMS value

Use an oscilloscope. Way back when.. I was in electronics development and I used a 'scope for everything.

davenn said:
most multimeters read RMS unless otherwise stated

They will be calibrated to display RMS values for a sine wave input. Only more expensive multimeters with a true RMS feature will actually give RMS readings for a non-sine wave input.

You can only get the peak value by multiplying the RMS value by sqrt(2) if you have a sine wave signal. As the alternator instructions specify using a peak-reading probe we can assume you don't have a sine wave signal and you can't multiply a multimeter reading by root 2 to get the peak value.

As already stated the best way to read the peak value is an oscilloscope. If it's a reading you will need to keep making you could cheaply build your own peak probe with a signal diode, a capacitor and, if needed, a resistor. If I did that I'd still want to use a scope the first time to check the probe reading.

GrahamN-UK said:
They will be calibrated to display RMS values for a sine wave input. Only more expensive multimeters with a true RMS feature will actually give RMS readings for a non-sine wave input.

yes that is correct

When you say the sensor attached to the alternator I'm assuming you're referring to the crank position sensor (some service manuals refer to is as the pickup coil, signal generator, and numerous other names)? If so you can't conclusively rely on simply multiplying your meter's Vac reading by sqrt(2) due to the actual output of the coil. It's a pulsing Hall Effect sensor that connects to the semiconductor switch inside your Ignition Control Module (on older CDIs it's connected to an SCR gate; this may be different on modern vehicles with computerized ECUs). If you put an oscilloscope across it you'll see it's not a perfect sine wave.

As far as cost, modern major manufacturers offer them at fairly reasonable prices. You can also find numerous articles online about making your own. When it comes to measuring the crank sensor you definitely need to be taking a peak measurement otherwise you're shooting in the dark. The meter's "normal" Vac reading, which is basically the meter's best attempt at RMS unless you have one of the expensive true-RMS meters, can be indicative but not conclusive.

Since you're doing this test should i assume something isn't working ?Does the manual direct you to make this measurement "open circuit", that is with the wire that goes to voltage regulator unplugged from the alternator stator ?

If so
Connect a diode in series with your meter and set it for DC.
Then measure alternator output at several RPM's writing down RPM and volts.
Your alternator will charge the meter's input capacitance to peak voltage several times each revolution
and that's what you meter will report.
It's not exact
but since you're probably going to get around fifty volts a volt or so error won't matter much.
If you plot volts vs RPM on a piece of graph paper you should get an almost straight line.

BUT
If this is an in-place measurement with regulator and battery connected and working properly
you'll get a lower voltage, probably just a little more than battery voltage. Be aware the diode will lower your reading by a fraction of a volt.
If you get fifty volts probably the regulator has failed or there's a fuse blown someplace.Lastly
Read battery voltage . It should increase when engine is running,
that's a "poor man's quick check" . If it settles around 14 volts then everything looks okay...
Real poor men who don't have a voltmeter just observe brightness of at the headlight at night , out of the city where our eyes can detect the subtle change in brightness .. (or darkness if it's a Lucas .)old jim

It would really help if we knew what bike you were working on

1. What is a multimeter peak voltage reading?

A multimeter peak voltage reading is a measurement of the maximum voltage that a circuit or electronic device is producing at a given time. This reading is important for troubleshooting and ensuring proper functioning of electrical systems.

2. How is a multimeter peak voltage reading different from a regular voltage reading?

A regular voltage reading on a multimeter measures the average voltage over a period of time, while a peak voltage reading measures the highest voltage reached during that time period. This can be useful for detecting voltage spikes or surges in a circuit.

3. How do I use a multimeter to measure peak voltage?

To measure peak voltage with a multimeter, set the device to the AC voltage setting and make sure the probe is inserted into the correct port. Then, connect the probes to the circuit or device being measured and read the peak voltage value on the multimeter's display.

4. What is a good range for a multimeter peak voltage reading?

The peak voltage reading on a multimeter can vary greatly depending on the circuit or device being measured. It is important to refer to the specifications of the device to determine what is considered a normal or safe peak voltage range. In general, peak voltages above 1000V should be handled with caution.

5. Why is it important to measure peak voltage with a multimeter?

Measuring peak voltage with a multimeter can help identify potential issues with electrical systems and devices. It can also help ensure that circuits are operating within safe voltage ranges and prevent damage to sensitive equipment. Additionally, peak voltage measurements can be useful in diagnosing intermittent problems that may not be detected with average voltage readings.