Is there a unique multiplicative identity for all real numbers?

In summary, the homework statement is false because there is more than one real number b with the property that br=r.
tennesseewiz

Homework Statement

Prove that there is at most one real number b with the property that br=r for all real numbers r. (Such a number is called a multiplicative identity)

Note: to show there is a unique object with a certain property, show that (1) there is an object with the property and (2) if objects A and B have the property, then A=B.

Homework Equations

It looks like the statement is false.

The Attempt at a Solution

Let r=0, then b(0)=(0).
b can then equal anything because anything times 0 is 0, so when r=0, there is more than one real number b with the property that br=r. The statement is false.

Am I right, or is this problem really a lot harder than that?

Physics news on Phys.org
1 is an object with that property. If br=r for all r and ar=r for all r then put r=a in the first equation and r=b in the second. If you are talking about reals, then multiplication is commutative. Conclusion? I can't make sense of your other argument.

Last edited:
Well, what I'm saying is that the statement is not true because if r=0 (because r can be any real number and 0 is a real number) then b can be equal to anything, not just one fixed number. b=1, b=2, b=5^.5, whatever, you know? So the statement must be false. That's what I mean with my argument.

Now I have a question on your's... how does putting r=a and r=b solve my problem? How does it prove that for all real numbers b, b can be at most one real number?

It says for ALL r, not just r=0. If a*r=r for all r then a*b=b, if b*r=r for all r then b*a=a. If the product is commutative then a*b=b*a. What does that tell you about a and b?

a=b

oh, oh, oh! That note thing in the instructions... I've been avoiding it the whole time. Just follow it and it's solved... okay, so you said 1 is an object of that property, meaning that step one is finished, step two is to prove that a=b, and then step 2 is finished, meaning the proof is done... I getcha.

I'm still confused on the whole r is any real number thing. It does say for all r, but you can't just exclude 0 though, right? Shouldn't the statement then say something like "for all r, except 0"? This is really bugging me...

These are not equivalent:

there exists a b, such that for all r, br = r

for all r, there exists a b, such that br = r

tennesseewiz said:
a=b

oh, oh, oh! That note thing in the instructions... I've been avoiding it the whole time. Just follow it and it's solved... okay, so you said 1 is an object of that property, meaning that step one is finished, step two is to prove that a=b, and then step 2 is finished, meaning the proof is done... I getcha.

I'm still confused on the whole r is any real number thing. It does say for all r, but you can't just exclude 0 though, right? Shouldn't the statement then say something like "for all r, except 0"? This is really bugging me...

0 works fine. We want a*r=r for all r, and if r=0 then a*0=0. No need to make a special case out of r=0.

Aaaahhhh, okay. I get it now. Thanks. lol. Sometimes it takes me a while. Sorry about that.

What is a multiplicative identity proof?

A multiplicative identity proof is a mathematical proof that shows how a number multiplied by the multiplicative identity (1) will always equal that same number. It is also known as the identity property of multiplication.

Why is the multiplicative identity important?

The multiplicative identity is important because it allows us to easily perform calculations and solve equations. It is the basis for the multiplication operation and helps us understand the relationship between numbers and their products.

How do you prove the multiplicative identity?

The multiplicative identity can be proven using a simple algebraic proof. The proof involves showing that for any number a, a multiplied by 1 will always equal a. This can be done by using the distributive property of multiplication and simplifying the equation to show that both sides are equal.

What are some real-life applications of the multiplicative identity?

The multiplicative identity has many real-life applications, such as calculating discounts or sales tax, finding the total cost of multiple items, and determining the area of a rectangle. It is also used in more complex mathematical concepts, such as matrices and vectors.

Are there other identities in mathematics?

Yes, there are other identities in mathematics, such as the additive identity (0), the additive inverse, and the multiplicative inverse. These identities have specific properties and play important roles in various mathematical operations and equations.