1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable Calculus: finding relative extrema/saddle points

1. Feb 22, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was given an assignment to find all relative extrema and saddle points of the equation

f(x,y) = 1/3x^4 + 1/2y^4 - 4xy^2 +2x^2 + 2y^2 + 3

I derived the first partial with respect to x and the first partial with respect to y, but when I tried to find where they both equal 0, the problem became really complicated. I don't know what I am suppose to do. Rather stuck.

2. Relevant equations

partial x: 4/3x^3 - 4y^2 + 4x

0 = 1/3x^3 - y^2 + x

partial y: 2y^3 - 8xy + 4y

0 = 2y(y^2 - 4x +2)

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried using substition after setting the equations equal to each other, by using the partial derivatives to find

x = (y^2 + 2)/4

y = + or - sqrt(4x - 2)

y = + or - sqrt(1/3x^3 + x)

I have tried setting these two equal to each other to solve for x, but I get a cubic that I don't know what to do with. Is there something like "completing the cube" I could use? Haha.

(1/3x^3 - 3x + 2 = 0)

I'm so confused...please help me. :(
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2010 #2
    For starters, (0,0) is clearly a critical point.
  4. Feb 23, 2010 #3
    I found that one, at the very least. :)

The assignment was due today, posting this was a last hurrah, I suppose. Now, however, I'm merely curious as to how to solve it.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook