Multivariable Calculus - Surface integrals

In summary, the homework statement is that if the region S is enclosed by the cylinder y2 + z2 = 9 and the planes x = 0 and x + y = 5, then the boundary region S has surface area π(x,y,z) = S.
kmr159
1. Homework Statement ∫∫S xz dS where S is the boundary region enclosed by the cylinder y2 + z2 = 9 and the planes x = 0 and x + y = 5.

2. Relevant equation∫∫Sf(x,y,z)dS = ∫∫Df(r(u,v)) * |ru χ rv|dA

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I think I have broken this up into 3 surfaces. The bottom circle in the y-z plane. - S1

The cylinder y2 + z2 = 9 that is intersected by the plane x + y = 5 - S2

and the slanted ellipsoid resulting from that intersection - S3

Calculations for S1

The equation for r for the S1 is r = <0,y,z> - I think,
ry(the partial derivative of r with respect to y) = <0,1,0>
rx = <0,0,1>

rx X(cross) ry = <1,0,0>. The magnitude is 1

So we integrate the double integral of x * z dy dz = 0 & since x = 0

Calculations for S2

The equation for r for the S2 is r = <x,3cos(θ),3sin(θ)> - I think
rθ = <0,-3sin(θ),3cos(θ)>
rx = <1,0,0>

rθ X(cross) rx = <0,3cos(θ),3sin(θ)>. The magnitude is 3

The double integral becomes 3∫02∏05 - 3cos(θ) x(3sin(θ))dxdθ

I have a question - do I need to apply a jacobian or something similar because I changed variables from z to θ?

When I solved this double integral I got a value of 0.

Calculations for S3

I am not sure what r is supposed to be but I guessed r = <5-y,y,z>

ry = <-1,1,0>
rx = <0,0,1>

ry χ rx = <1,1,0>. The magnitude is 2.5

The double integral( without limits) becomes 2.5∫∫xz dydz ->

2.5∫∫5z - yz dydz

I am not sure where to go from here. If I convert to polar coordinates I only have one variable that is changing - θ

Additionally I am not sure how jacobians figure into surface integrals.

I am asking for help understanding this problem - validating that I am approaching it correctly. I also don't know how to parametrize and solve S3 (not that I am sure of my parametrizations for S1 or S2).

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
why are you not using polar coordinates for the entire problem?

Last edited by a moderator:
kmr159 said:
I have a question - do I need to apply a jacobian or something similar because I changed variables from z to θ?
nope. you are thinking of [itex]dA[/itex], in which case you would need the [itex]r[/itex] as a jacobian. however, your formula directs you to use [itex]dS[/itex], a parametized length, so don't worry about the jacobian.

kmr159 said:
I am not sure what r is supposed to be but I guessed r = <5-y,y,z>

well, it seems ideal to use polar coordinates, right? thus if the "top" plane is [itex]x + y = 5[/itex], should we use coordinates, say [itex]x=r\cos\theta, y=r\sin\theta[/itex]? only remember, our coordinate system isn't around the z axis, its around the x-axis, so some slight modification should be used, which it seems you are aware of.

so now, we should have [tex] \vec{r}=f(x,y,z)\hat{i}+r\cos\theta\hat{j} +r\sin\theta\hat{k}[/tex] and i think [itex]{f}=x=5-y=5-r\cos\theta[/itex] now perhaps integrate over this flat surface through [itex]r[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] (after taking that messy cross product)

you of course know when i use [itex]r[/itex] i speak of radius and [itex]\vec{r}[/itex] is in reference to your adopted r notation.

let me know if this doesn't make sense, but i think it's clear.

Related to Multivariable Calculus - Surface integrals

1. What is a surface integral in multivariable calculus?

A surface integral in multivariable calculus is a mathematical tool used to calculate the flux or flow of a vector field over a surface. It involves integrating a scalar or vector function over a parametrized surface in three-dimensional space.

2. How is a surface integral different from a line integral?

A line integral involves integrating a scalar or vector function over a curve in two-dimensional space, while a surface integral involves integrating over a surface in three-dimensional space. Additionally, a line integral has only one independent variable, while a surface integral has two independent variables.

3. What is the significance of surface integrals in real-world applications?

Surface integrals are used in many fields of science and engineering, such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and computer graphics. They are used to calculate important physical quantities like electric flux, fluid flow rate, and surface area of 3D objects.

4. How do you set up a surface integral?

The first step in setting up a surface integral is to determine the parametrization of the surface. This involves expressing the surface in terms of two independent variables, typically u and v. Then, the scalar or vector function being integrated is multiplied by the magnitude of the cross product of the two partial derivatives of the parametrization. Finally, the resulting expression is integrated over the given limits of u and v.

5. What are the main types of surface integrals?

The two main types of surface integrals are the flux integral and the surface area integral. The flux integral calculates the flow of a vector field through a surface, while the surface area integral calculates the area of a surface. Other types of surface integrals include surface mass and surface moment of inertia integrals.