1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable Calculus - Partial Derivatives Assignment

1. Jul 11, 2014 #1
    1. Marine biologists have determined that when a shark detects the presence of blood in the water, it will swim in the direction in which the concentration of the blood increases most rapidly. Suppose that in a certain case, the concentration of blood at a point P(x; y) on the surface of the seawater is given by,

f(x; y) = 10^8 - 20x^2 - 40y^2

where x and y are measured in meters in a rectangular coordinate system with the blood source at
    the origin. Suppose a shark is at the point (100;500) on the surface of the water when it first detects the presence of blood. Find the equation of the shark's path towards the blood source. [Hint: You can use the fact that if y=g(x) satisfies g'(x) =(a/x)*g(x), then g(x) =Cx^a for some constant C.

2. So far in this class we have learned about limits and continuity of multi-variable functions, tangents planes, linear approximations, gradient vectors, directional vectors, and partial derivatives.[/b]

3. I know that the gradient vector points toward where the function is increasing most rapidly, to obtain the gradient vector I differentiated the equation f(x; y) for x to obtain fx = -40x and for y to obtain fy = -80y. Next I subbed in the sharks initial position (100;500) and found the gradient vector to be ∇f (100;500) = (-4000; -40000). The thing is my question asks for the equation for the sharks path to the blood source. I was thinking and wouldn't that mean its path is a straight line? If anyone has some guidance or knows what the next step is that would be much appreciated!
    Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 11, 2014 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In general the path would not be a straight line; from certain, special starting points it would be a straight line, but not if you start from more-or-less random positions. Why? Well, the direction of the shark's instantaneous velocity is given by the gradient, so the direction changes as x and/or y change.

4. Jul 11, 2014 #3
    So if the sharks path is going to be changing due to x and y changing, how am I supposed to create an equation to model that? Using the gradient vector ∇f(100;500) I know the direction of travel, also the hint at the bottom shows that y is a function of x called g(x). Would I have to use some 1st order differentiation to solve this problem? With the skills we have learned so far in class I don't know how to find the equation that the shark will follow.

5. Jul 11, 2014 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Starting from ##(x,y)##, let the shark go along a short segment ##(\Delta x, \Delta y)##. What is the relationship between ##\Delta x## and ##\Delta y##? So, if the shark follows a path ##y = f(x)##, what does all this say about the function ##f##? Use the hint supplied.

6. Jul 11, 2014 #5

verty

Homework Helper

This question had me stumped for a good while. You have calculated the gradient ##\nabla f(x,y)##. Now any path of steepest ascent ##y = g(x)## has a tangent that is related to ##\nabla f## how?

7. Jul 11, 2014 #6
    OK! So what if I use my gradient vector ∇f=( -40x, -80y ) and say that from y = g(x) being a path of steepest ascent its derivative will be equal to the slope of the gradient vector, so g(x)'s derivative will be g'(x) = -80y/-40x = 2y/x. From here I have a differential equation I can solve.

g'(x) = 2y/x

(1/2y)*g'(x) = 1/x

...solving this I got...

(1/2)*ln(y) = ln(x) + C , from here would I sub in my initial value (100 , 500) to find C and the resulting equation would be the sharks path?

(1/2)*ln(500) = ln(100) + C

C = 1.497 ≈ 1.5

then subbing in C and simplifying I got,

(1/2)*ln(y) = ln(x) + 1.5

e^((1/2)*ln(y)) = e^(ln(x) + 1.5)

(y^1/2 )^2= (e^(ln(x) + 1.5))^2

y=(e^(ln(x) + 1.5))^2

Is this correct or at least on the right track?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  8. Jul 12, 2014 #7
    Oops! I messed up some of the simplification, my new answer is

y= Cx^2

subbing in (100;500)

500=C(100)^2

C=1/20

y=x^2 / 20

This is also similar to what the hint says!

9. Jul 12, 2014 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The gradient vector at each (x, y) point is, as you say [itex]-40x\vec{i}- 80y\vec{j}[/itex]. At each (x, y) that points in a direction such that the tangent of the angle with the x-axis is (-80y)/(-40x)= 2y/x. Since the tangent of the angle is the derivative, that is the same as dy/dx= 2y/x. Solve that differential equation (it is "separable" so it is just a matter of integrating) to find the shark's path.

10. Jul 12, 2014 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It is OK, but unnecessarily complicated. Just use the fact that ##\left(e^{\ln x + C}\right)^2 = k x^2##, where ##k = e^{2C}##. Of course, ##C = (1/2) \ln 500 - \ln 100 = \ln(\sqrt{500}/100)##, so ##k = e^{2C} = (\sqrt{500}/100)^2 = 500/100^2 = 1/20##.

11. Jul 12, 2014 #10
    OK thanks! You helped a lot! I actually understand this now thanks so much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted