Multivariable Calculus + Physics help

In summary, a student is seeking help with a math question involving a baseball being hit with an initial velocity of 40ft/s horizontally and 12ft/s vertically, neglecting all forces other than gravity. The question asks for the horizontal distance traveled and the maximum height reached. The equations v=gt+v_i and a=0i-32j can be used to solve for the equations of motion.
APC40
Hi all, I am a university student taking Calculus II at the moment. The course sometimes use physics examples, however I do not have any physics background. So I am reaching out to you guys to help me through this math question.

Homework Statement

A baseball is hit from 4ft above home plate with an initial velocity [tex]\vec v(0)=40 \vec i+12 \vec j(ft/s)[/tex] (horizontally 40ft/s and vertically 12ft/s). Neglect all forces other than gravity, [tex]g=32ft/s^2[/tex]
(a) How far does the ball travel horizontally?
(b) Find the maximum height reached.

Homework Equations

Equations, posted again, are [tex]\vec v(0)=40 \vec i+12 \vec j(ft/s)[/tex] and [tex]g=32ft/s^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I googled and found the equation [tex]v=gt+v_i[/tex] but I'm not sure if this is the right one, or how to proceed with this. Please advise.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
APC40 said:
Hi all, I am a university student taking Calculus II at the moment. The course sometimes use physics examples, however I do not have any physics background. So I am reaching out to you guys to help me through this math question.

Homework Statement

A baseball is hit from 4ft above home plate with an initial velocity [tex]\vec v(0)=40 \vec i+12 \vec j(ft/s)[/tex] (horizontally 40ft/s and vertically 12ft/s). Neglect all forces other than gravity, [tex]g=32ft/s^2[/tex]
(a) How far does the ball travel horizontally?
(b) Find the maximum height reached.

Homework Equations

Equations, posted again, are [tex]\vec v(0)=40 \vec i+12 \vec j(ft/s)[/tex] and [tex]g=32ft/s^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I googled and found the equation [tex]v=gt+v_i[/tex] but I'm not sure if this is the right one, or how to proceed with this. Please advice.

That's "advise", not "advice".

Start with the acceleration ##\vec A = 0i - 32j##, integrate twice and use your initial position and velocity to evaluate the constants to get the equations of motion.

1. What is Multivariable Calculus and how is it used in physics?

Multivariable Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of multiple variables. In physics, it is used to analyze and solve problems involving multiple variables, such as motion in three dimensions, electric and magnetic fields, and fluid dynamics.

2. What are some common applications of Multivariable Calculus in physics?

Some common applications of Multivariable Calculus in physics include finding the velocity and acceleration of an object in three-dimensional motion, calculating the electric and magnetic fields of charged particles, and determining the rate of change of temperature in a fluid.

3. How does Multivariable Calculus differ from single-variable calculus?

Multivariable Calculus differs from single-variable calculus in that it deals with functions of multiple variables, rather than just one. This allows for a more comprehensive analysis of physical phenomena that involve multiple factors.

4. What are some key concepts in Multivariable Calculus that are important for understanding physics?

Some key concepts in Multivariable Calculus that are important for understanding physics include partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector calculus, and the concepts of gradient, divergence, and curl.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Multivariable Calculus and its application in physics?

One way to improve your understanding of Multivariable Calculus and its application in physics is to practice solving problems and working through examples. You can also seek out additional resources, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and study groups, to deepen your understanding of the subject.