1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable Calculus + Physics help

1. Oct 6, 2013 #1
    Hi all, I am a university student taking Calculus II at the moment. The course sometimes use physics examples, however I do not have any physics background. So I am reaching out to you guys to help me through this math question.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A baseball is hit from 4ft above home plate with an initial velocity [tex]\vec v(0)=40 \vec i+12 \vec j(ft/s)[/tex] (horizontally 40ft/s and vertically 12ft/s). Neglect all forces other than gravity, [tex]g=32ft/s^2[/tex]
    (a) How far does the ball travel horizontally?
    (b) Find the maximum height reached.

2. Relevant equations

Equations, posted again, are [tex]\vec v(0)=40 \vec i+12 \vec j(ft/s)[/tex] and [tex]g=32ft/s^2[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I googled and found the equation [tex]v=gt+v_i[/tex] but I'm not sure if this is the right one, or how to proceed with this. Please advise.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That's "advise", not "advice".

Start with the acceleration ##\vec A = 0i - 32j##, integrate twice and use your initial position and velocity to evaluate the constants to get the equations of motion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted