1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Multivariable Double Integration Problem

1. Apr 29, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement
    Fill in the blanks ∫ [0,1] ∫ [2x^2,x+1] f(y) dy dx = ∫ [0,1] ( ) dy + ∫ [1,2] ( ) dy
    The expressions you
    obtain for the ( ) should not contain integral signs.

The brackets are the bounds of integration, and the open parenthesis are the blanks.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I graphed the region and figured that the oder of integration has to be changed. I see that 2x^2 runs from (0,0) to (1,2) and that x+1 runs from (0,1) to (1,2) with these two creating the section we are integrating. It's unclear to me which how the integration goes from in terms of dy and dx to just being an integration in terms of dy.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 29, 2014 #2

Zondrina

Homework Helper

Originally you have ##0 ≤ x ≤ 1## and ##2x^2 ≤ y ≤ x+1##.

Graphing the region yields ##0 ≤ y ≤ 2## by inspection while ##\sqrt{\frac{y}{2}} ≤ x ≤ y - 1##.

4. Apr 29, 2014 #3
    How does inspection help when the new integrations are both in terms of dy?

5. Apr 29, 2014 #4

Zondrina

Homework Helper

You have a function ##f(y)## with a region that's already been nicely setup. The problem is, you don't know what ##f(y)## is directly, so you can't just integrate with respect to ##y## outright.

If you switch the limits first though, you are able to pull the ##f(y)## further out and then integrate in terms of ##x## first.

Simply breaking up the resulting integral into two integrals, you have found the answer.

6. Apr 29, 2014 #5
    oh ok thanks i see how to do it now, thank you very much

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted