What helped you fully appreciate certain music?

• Music
  • Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Music
In summary, sometimes songs and artists just become much more special when you understand what the artist is truly singing about.
KingNothing
Sometimes songs and artists just become much more special when you understand what the artist is truly singing about. What information or experience has helped you to fully appreciate certain music?

I'll give you an example: I never cared for Eric Clapton. That is, until today, when I came across a 'love letter' he wrote to a woman named Layla:

Eric Clapton said:
Dear Layla,
For nothing more than the pleasures past, I would sacrifice my family, my god, and my own existence, and still you will not move. I am at the end of my mind, I cannot go back and there is nothing in tomorrow (save you) that can attract me beyond today. I have listened to the wind, I have watched the dark brooding clouds, I have felt the Earth beneath me for a sign, a gesture, but there is only silence. Why do you hesitate, am I a poor lover, am I ugly, am I too weak, too strong, do you know why? If you want me, take me, I am yours...If you don't want me, please break the spell that binds me. "To cage a wild animal is a sin, to tame him is divine." My love is yours.

Reading this, it really hit me just how terrible I am at expressing my feelings compared to him, and how deep his love really was. I listened to the song "Layla" and I can just feel the passion in the melody and lyrics. Before today, I would have thought it was just an average old song.

Sorry for the wall of text, please post your examples and experiences!

Science news on Phys.org
I think the fact you didn't notice the song till you read the lyrics pegs it as an unsuccessful song. A successful song ought to work without the lyrics on some important level. It should be music first and foremost.

In a similar vein, I notice that I like certain music videos while not liking the songs in particular. The visuals; the editing/montage, choreography and cinematography, can make a fairly dull song into something that seems a lot better than it actually is.

KingNothing said:
Sometimes songs and artists just become much more special when you understand what the artist is truly singing about.

When I discovered the true meaning of Puff the Magic Dragon, I was scarred for life!

zoobyshoe said:
I think the fact you didn't notice the song till you read the lyrics pegs it as an unsuccessful song. A successful song ought to work without the lyrics on some important level. It should be music first and foremost.

I hear you, but I think a lot of artists (music/painting/etc) do their artworks from the soul and if people like it, great. For a lot of them expressing themselves comes first (which is what sets a lot of them apart).

It matters more to an artist to get the performance and expression out there. (As a musician, I feel OK about stating this so plainly.) If the populace wants to read more into your performances than you intended, you can just let the speculation steep or you can use the opportunity to set things straight.

Need an example? How about Peter Green's (Fleetwood Mac) song Long Grey Mare? I've got a Long Grey Mare, but she won't let me ride...

Last edited by a moderator:
KingNothing said:
I hear you, but I think a lot of artists (music/painting/etc) do their artworks from the soul and if people like it, great. For a lot of them expressing themselves comes first (which is what sets a lot of them apart).
What I'm saying is that he probably didn't express himself "from the soul" if the music isn't as moving by itself as the music + lyrics. If the melody supported the emotion the melody itself ought to be passionate, haunting, whatever. As it is, he wrote a passionate poem, but the music he set it to doesn't, itself, stir that same passion.

Compare "Layla" to "Oh Darling" by the Beatles, for example. Similar message.

Hi. The letter, and the song, are written for a woman called Pattie Boyd. She was the wife of G. Harrison. Clapton was in love with her.
Sorry if my english is bad, I'm mexican.

I'm reading the book Life by Keith Richards right now. He explains a lot the inspirations for the songs sung by the Rolling Stones. So I guess in a way I am able to better appreciate the music. He also goes into the Chicago blues influence which I am able to discern now in their work. He also goes into the chords in depth and explains the open tuning of a six string guitar to a 5 string. I now have a deeper respect for the accomplished guitar player!

What is music appreciation?

Music appreciation refers to the enjoyment and understanding of music. It involves actively listening to music and recognizing its elements, such as melody, harmony, rhythm, and form. It also involves understanding the historical and cultural context of the music.

Why is music appreciation important?

Music appreciation is important because it allows us to fully experience and understand the emotional, intellectual, and cultural significance of music. It can also enhance our ability to communicate and express ourselves through music, as well as improve our critical thinking skills.

How can one improve their music appreciation skills?

One can improve their music appreciation skills by actively listening to a wide variety of music, attending live performances, reading about the historical and cultural context of music, and discussing music with others. It's also helpful to learn about music theory and the elements of music.

What is the difference between music appreciation and music criticism?

Music appreciation focuses on understanding and enjoying music, while music criticism involves analyzing and evaluating music. Music appreciation is more about personal enjoyment, while music criticism often involves a more objective and critical approach.

How does music impact our lives?

Music has a profound impact on our lives as it can evoke emotions, create connections, and influence our thoughts and behaviors. It can also serve as a form of self-expression and provide a sense of identity and community. Additionally, music has been shown to have therapeutic effects on mental health and can improve cognitive function.