Create an Edible Musical Instrument: Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in G Major

• Thread starter lomantak
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the project requires an edible instrument that can be played in the key of G major and must be playable immediately after the performance. Some suggested materials for the instrument include fruits, vegetables, and candy. The "instrument" must be the source of sound production and each note must be sustained for 2 seconds.
lomantak
Lately there's this project assigned which requires me to apparatus/instrument which can play twinkle twinkle little star. It has to be completely edible.
Here's a more comprehensive criteria:
1) at the presentation, teams may bring a tuning device to tune their instrument. However, contestants will not be allowed to use any tuning meter or any other device to measure or adjust musical properties during the performance.
2) cannot be made out of any pre-purchased device, meaning that it must be home-made.
3) MUST be edible immediately after the performance with no additional preparation. "Best way to think about materials: if you would be surprised to see it on your dinner plate, it shouldn't be a part of your instrument".
Example of edible materials: fruits, veggies, candy, pasta, cookies
Inedible: sawdust, reeds, bark, and aluminium foil
4) The "instrument" MUST be the source of sound production. So it can be a wood or string instrument, just to mention a few.
5) each note played must be sustained for 2 seconds. And twinkle twinkle little star must be played in the key of G major, however any octave of this key is permitted.

Please give me some suggestions as to how to start my project. I do not have any idea how to make something edible but can also play music.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you think of a wind instrument that is easily constucted and can be tuned (by trimming)? Your teacher has not given you a lot of options with these constrictions, but the rules should lead you pretty naturally to an obvious solution.

Last edited:
5) each note played must be sustained for 2 seconds. And twinkle twinkle little star must be played in the key of G major, however any octave of this key is permitted.
That's a dumb rule. Why so long?

The problem though, is that I don't even know how to make anything that can generate sounds with a fixed musical key, yet alone G major, which is rather high or a little low (in comparison to middle C). I have thought of making a recorder out of cookie dough, but then I would have trouble keeping the interior hollow, not caving in.
Suggestions?

Flute from a stalk of celery?

I gave you a pretty good hint - what kind of instrument does Zamfir play? What kind of vegetable could be made into such an instrument?

How about a popular, tubular candy that's pretty easily trimmed?

Or...why not go for the liquid approach?

turbo-1 said:
I gave you a pretty good hint - what kind of instrument does Zamfir play? What kind of vegetable could be made into such an instrument?

The pan-flute seems to be made out of bamboo... I believe another member of the forum suggested celery. I guess I could try celery sticks made into a pan-flute.

I'll post up any more difficulties over the weekend.
P.S. Thanks for the advice!

OK, I'll give you one more hint although it shouldn't be necessary at this point: What's up Doc?

FredGarvin said:
How about a popular, tubular candy that's pretty easily trimmed?

Or...why not go for the liquid approach?

Twizzlers are tubular.
BLades of grass can be positioned vertically along the lips to produce musical sounds. We used to do that in grade school to annoy the children.

What about a bunch of crystal glasses filled with liquid? You can tune each one by adjusting the liquid levels. Granted, you can't eat the glasses...

Make the glasses out of rock candy?

FredGarvin said:
What about a bunch of crystal glasses filled with liquid? You can tune each one by adjusting the liquid levels. Granted, you can't eat the glasses...

Fred brings up an interesting point - perhaps the true purpose of the assignment is to get you to eat new and unusual things.

Is it the plan to eat the instrument after the presentation or is that just hypothetical?

If so, say you did use a carrot or celery...
It would have to be dry in order to make it and produce good sound, wouldn't it? Would water in that sense, have a great effect on the sound? Or could you make a pretty good 'carrot flute' with a fresh carrot.

If it does have to be dry, that would be quite awful to have to eat afterwards.

Ain't beans the musical fruit?

Try carving a flute from a carrot, cucumber, or turnip. A watermelon gives a resonant, bass sound to the ensemble, but the rind is bitter.

Last edited:
Maybe you could make an ocarina out of a pumpkin.

If you are willing to make candy then you could make almost anything. A recorder would be easy or if you trust your musical skills you could make a slide whistle. Thus allowing better tuning. Xylaphone comes to mind as well. Should be easy to play and easily made out of food.

I have to make a box-type harp for my physics class, and I am trying to figure out how to calculate the density and lengths needed for the strings of the harp and how to build the frame. Any ideas?

1. How do you create an edible musical instrument?

To create an edible musical instrument, you will need some basic ingredients such as flour, water, and salt for the dough, as well as food coloring and edible decorations to add color and texture. You will also need a mold or cookie cutter in the shape of your desired instrument.

2. Can any type of food be used to make an edible musical instrument?

Yes, you can use a variety of foods to make an edible musical instrument. Some popular choices include cookie dough, rice krispie treats, and chocolate. Just make sure the food is pliable enough to mold into the shape of your instrument.

3. How do you make the instrument playable?

To make the instrument playable, you will need to create holes or openings in the dough to allow for sound to pass through. You can use a straw or toothpick to create these openings. You can also add strings made from licorice or spaghetti for added playability.

4. How do you incorporate the musical aspect into the edible instrument?

To incorporate the musical aspect, you can use food coloring to color the instrument according to the notes or keys of the musical piece you want to play. For example, for "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" in G Major, you can use green food coloring to represent the key of G and blue for the key of D.

5. Can this edible instrument actually play music?

Yes, with some practice and experimentation, this edible instrument can actually play music. The sound may not be as clear or precise as a traditional instrument, but it can still produce recognizable notes and melodies. It's a fun and creative way to combine music and food!