1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Must professors teach?

1. Oct 24, 2006 #1
    I am just curious, but must they teach at all? Is it not that research are their primary focus? I know some professor that won the fields medal in mathematics, and they still had to teach. My question is "why"? How many nobel prize or fields metals you need to win to not have to teach at all. What kind of arrengement is this?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 24, 2006 #2
    I think it depends if you're working in conjuction with a university or not. If you are I think they'd want you to teach.

4. Oct 24, 2006 #3

moo

There is often a great deal of satisfaction derived from teaching. :wink:

moo

5. Oct 24, 2006 #4

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think that, in a university, professors are expected to teach. It's part of their job description. How much and how frequently will depend on the university and what arrangements have been negotiated. For example, a professor might get freed from some teaching duties by a research grant, by a sabbatical, or by administrative responsibilities [e.g. being a chairperson]. One may be able to get a different appointment as a "research professor". (Alternatively, one could get a position at an institute like the Institute for Advanced Studies (Princeton) or the Perimeter Institute.) One could also retire and become an "Emeritus Professor".

Some interesting reading at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor

6. Oct 24, 2006 #5

radou

Homework Helper

Many people underestimate teaching. There are great mathematicians who don't know how to teach, and there are less great mathematicians who teach great. :smile:

7. Oct 24, 2006 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, we have to teach. How much we teach often depends on how much of our salary is being paid by the department and how much is being brought in on research grants. Who else would teach you in college if it weren't for the professors?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?