Must Reads for starting electrical engineering?

In summary, the person is interested in pursuing a career in EE and enjoys reading about the history of science. They are looking for recommendations for novels on the topic and also mention their love for using programming languages such as MATLAB, VB, and AS3. They are open to trying out C or Java and are seeking recommendations for resources to learn these languages.
FountainDew
Hi, I'm really interested into pursuing an EE career. I like reading but textbooks tend to bore me, on the other hand I love reading about the history of how particular science came to be, such as http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=22873129". Because I find that I learn better when I'm not being told what to do but why its better to do it. After reading parts of this enormous book, I noticed that I became fixated on the topic much more than any school teacher has been able to motivate me to do. So my question is are there more novels like these (preferably less than 1200 pages)? :) I also love using MATLAB at school to do my math and physics homework, i write little scripts to store all the question data and just execute an answer ;). I love other little programming languages as well, like VB and AS3 because I also enjoy making interactive flash programs to put on my website. I've never tried C or Java or any of the bigger languages yet though, oh well. Anyways, long rant short, does anyone have recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's great that you have a passion for EE and are so motivated to learn more. It sounds like you really enjoy reading about the history of science, so I would recommend some of the classic texts on electronics such as "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill and "Electronic Circuits: Analysis and Design" by Donald Neamen. For programming, I would recommend starting with C or Java. Both of these languages are widely used in electronics and can be used to create more complex applications than VB or AS3. You might also find it helpful to check out online tutorials and resources such as Codecademy and FreeCodeCamp to get started. Good luck!

As a scientist and an electrical engineer, I can definitely understand your struggle with finding engaging reading material in the field. One recommendation I have is to look into popular science books that focus on electrical engineering topics. These books are often written in a more narrative style and can provide a more engaging and interesting read compared to traditional textbooks.

Some popular science books that I would recommend for starting electrical engineering include "The New Science of Strong Materials" by J.E. Gordon, "The Invention of Everything Else" by Samantha Hunt, and "The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind" by William Kamkwamba. These books explore different aspects of electrical engineering, from materials science to inventing and innovation, in a captivating and informative way.

In addition to books, I also suggest checking out online resources such as TED Talks, podcasts, and YouTube channels that focus on electrical engineering. These mediums often present complex concepts in a more digestible and entertaining format.

Lastly, I highly recommend taking advantage of your love for programming and exploring coding languages such as C and Java. These languages are essential for electrical engineering and can greatly enhance your understanding and skills in the field.

Overall, my advice is to keep exploring and finding ways to make learning about electrical engineering enjoyable and engaging for yourself. With the right resources and a passion for the subject, you can excel in your career and make a significant impact in the field. Best of luck on your journey!

1. What are the essential books for someone starting electrical engineering?

Some must-read books for starting electrical engineering include "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill, "Introduction to Electric Circuits" by Richard C. Dorf and James A. Svoboda, "Principles of Electric Circuits" by Thomas L. Floyd, "Fundamentals of Electric Circuits" by Charles K. Alexander and Matthew N.O. Sadiku, and "Microelectronics: Circuit Analysis and Design" by Donald A. Neamen. These books cover a range of topics from basic circuit analysis to advanced electronics, and are highly recommended by experts in the field.

2. Are there any online resources that are helpful for beginners in electrical engineering?

Yes, there are many online resources available for beginners in electrical engineering. Some popular websites include Khan Academy, Coursera, and edX, which offer free online courses and tutorials on various topics in electrical engineering. Additionally, websites like Electronics Tutorials and All About Circuits provide valuable information and resources for learning electrical engineering concepts.

3. Are there any specific books for learning about digital electronics?

Yes, there are several books dedicated to digital electronics, which is a crucial aspect of electrical engineering. Some recommended books include "Digital Design" by M. Morris Mano and Michael D. Ciletti, "Digital Logic Design" by Brian Holdsworth and Clive Woods, "Digital Electronics: A Practical Approach with VHDL" by William Kleitz, and "Fundamentals of Digital Logic with VHDL Design" by Stephen D. Brown and Zvonko Vranesic. These books cover topics such as logic gates, Boolean algebra, and digital system design.

4. Are there any books that focus on practical applications of electrical engineering?

Yes, there are several books that focus on the practical applications of electrical engineering. Some recommended titles include "Practical Electronics for Inventors" by Paul Scherz and Simon Monk, "Practical Electronics: Components and Techniques" by John M. Hughes, "The Electrician's Guide to the 17th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regulations" by John Whitfield, and "Applied Control Theory for Embedded Systems" by Tim Wescott. These books cover topics such as electronic components, wiring regulations, and control systems.

5. Are there any books that cover both electrical and computer engineering?

Yes, there are some books that cover both electrical and computer engineering, as these fields are closely related. Some recommended titles include "Computer Organization and Design: The Hardware/Software Interface" by David A. Patterson and John L. Hennessy, "Digital Design and Computer Architecture" by David Money Harris and Sarah L. Harris, and "Computer Engineering: Hardware Design" by M. Morris Mano. These books cover topics such as computer organization, digital logic, and computer hardware design.