1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mutiple springs in series

1. Dec 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a static spring system with 3 springs holding 2 masses in place I have the spring stiffnesses (K1=1N/m k2=3N/m k3=2N/m) and natural lengths (L1=3m L2=1m L3=2m) and the total length of the compressed springs (x1+x2+x3=4m)

2. Relevant equations

1/K(total) =1/K1 + 1/K2 + 1/K3

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that I derive simultanious equations and use the iterative or elimination method to solve what the x individual values are but I dont know how to get the equations for 3 springs in series and I cant find a relavent reference in my text book other than the total of sthe spring constant
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2009 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The forces have to balance at the point where any two springs meet. That's two equations. The sum of the compressions of each spring equals the total compression is the third equation.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook