1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mutual Inductance Transfer function

1. Dec 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find Io(s)/Ii(s)
    Untitled.png

2. Relevant equations
    Basic KVL laws.

3. The attempt at a solution
    My idea is to start from the RHS of the circuit until I get a relation between Io(s) and Ii(s).
    Untitled.png
    Capture.png
    Actually I stopped at this point, I wondered whether my approach is appropriate or not since the equations is getting longer and longer.

What do you say?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

I think you can expect the expressions to get longer and nastier. You've got a circuit with four inductors, a mutual inductance and a capacitor, so it's going to have some complex behavior in its general solution. It would be considerably simpler if the input current was confined to being a single frequency sinewave :smile:

If it were me I'd think of "replacing" the input current and R2 with a Thevenin equivalent just to get rid of one loop, then write mesh equations and use Cramer's Rule to solve symbolically for the capacitor current (mesh 3). Then all the hairy parts will be confined to one step: the hammering out of the two 3 x 3 determinants.

4. Dec 14, 2015 #3
    In the I2 loop is a resistor R2, but the resistor in parallel with the input source also looks like R2 to me. Are they really both R2?

Also, your equations so far don't include LR; I see LL but not LR.

5. Dec 15, 2015 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I would agree with gneill to change the current input to a Thevenin.
    Then, you stated you want to use KVL but you used KCL instead. Stick to KVL. This is not a complicated circuit. Just two equations.
    Also, use lowet case for the Laplace variable s.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted