Mutual Inductance (Parallel) Analysis Process

In summary, the net current through the inductors is zero. The first and second meshes are easy to understand, but the third mesh is difficult.
dwn

Homework Statement

Please see attached images.

2. Relevant Questions

I'm fairly certain the mesh equations are incorrect. I'm having a hard time accounting for the mutual inductance and the voltage/current loss between each mesh. When we account for the lost voltage (using j300 in equations) do I include I3 in the first mesh equation? As I analyze the circuit, I must account for the loss from the 3rd mesh since there is a mutual inductance between L1 and L2. Is that correct?

If you could please walk me through the analysis process for the given equation, I think that would at least help me to understand the physical properties a little better.

The Attempt at a Solution

Attached Image

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-25 at 11.23.50 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-06-25 at 11.23.50 AM.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 612
  • Screen Shot 2014-06-25 at 11.32.55 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-06-25 at 11.32.55 AM.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 642
Physics news on Phys.org
dwn said:

Homework Statement

Please see attached images.

2. Relevant Questions

I'm fairly certain the mesh equations are incorrect. I'm having a hard time accounting for the mutual inductance and the voltage/current loss between each mesh. When we account for the lost voltage (using j300 in equations) do I include I3 in the first mesh equation? As I analyze the circuit, I must account for the loss from the 3rd mesh since there is a mutual inductance between L1 and L2. Is that correct?

If you could please walk me through the analysis process for the given equation, I think that would at least help me to understand the physical properties a little better.

The current that is associated with the mutual inductance pseudo voltage sources is the net current flowing through the "other" inductor. In this case, for example, mesh currents I2 and I3 flow through the second inductor, so their sum is that net current. These pseudo voltage sources do not behave as impedances for the mesh they are in, they act as voltage sources and are unaffected by the local mesh current.

Note that the dot notation tells you what polarity the pseudo source should have. Your text or notes should have a diagram similar to the following which shows the relationship:

attachment.php?attachmentid=70885&stc=1&d=1403731730.gif

If a net current flows "into" the dot on one inductor, then it should cause a current (via mutual inductance) to flow "out" of the dot on the other inductor. The voltage sources are oriented to reflect this, namely the polarity is such as to cause the current to flow in the desired direction with respect to the dots and net currents that flow into/out of them on the inductors.

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2 KB · Views: 860
Thank you for the information gneill...I do remember seeing a lot of this in the text, but applying the principles to unfamiliar circuits can get very confusing!

After analyzing the circuit a second time:
Code:
-20+I[SUB]1[/SUB](3+j600) - I[SUB]2[/SUB](j600) + j300(I[SUB]2[/SUB]-I[SUB]1[/SUB]) = 0
-I[SUB]1[/SUB](-j600) + I[SUB]2[/SUB](5+j600+j600)+j300(I[SUB]3[/SUB]-I[SUB]2[/SUB])=0
-10∠25° + 0I[SUB]1[/SUB] - I[SUB]2[/SUB](j600) + I[SUB]3[/SUB](-j/200-j300) = 0

I found the net current through each inductor. The second and third meshes are the most difficult to translate and understand. Hopefully, I'm a little closer this time.

1. What is mutual inductance in a parallel circuit?

Mutual inductance in a parallel circuit is the phenomenon where two or more coils are placed close to each other and the changing current in one coil induces a voltage in the other coil.

2. How is mutual inductance calculated in a parallel circuit?

The mutual inductance in a parallel circuit can be calculated using the formula M = (L1 * L2) / (L1 + L2), where L1 and L2 are the inductances of the two coils.

3. What is the unit of measurement for mutual inductance?

The unit of measurement for mutual inductance is Henry (H).

4. How does mutual inductance affect the current in a parallel circuit?

Mutual inductance can cause the current in a parallel circuit to change due to the induced voltage in the other coil. This can either add or subtract from the original current depending on the direction of the induced voltage.

5. What are some real-life applications of mutual inductance in parallel circuits?

Mutual inductance in parallel circuits is used in transformers, where the changing current in one coil induces a voltage in the other coil, resulting in the transfer of energy from one circuit to another. It is also used in wireless charging, where the changing magnetic field from a power source induces a voltage in a receiving coil to charge a device.