My Leaking Skylight Peculiarity

• Thread starter Puma24
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involved a person waking up to find their newly installed skylight leaking water. They placed a glass underneath to catch the water and noticed that the skylight's shape caused the water to travel from the edge to the lowest point before dropping off. However, they also observed that sometimes the water dropped off prematurely but still landed in the glass. The conversation then discussed the physical properties of an object moving along a curved surface and how it may explain the behavior of the water drops. There was also speculation about the dimensions of the skylight and its potential impact on the size of the bucket needed to catch the water.
Puma24
Hey all,

I woke up this morning to find my newly installed skylight was leaking water through it; only one drop at a time thankfully.

I placed a glass underneath it to catch the water, of quite a small diameter in comparison to the skylight (about a third the size), and then sat up, looking at the water running down it, when I noticed something weird.

The skylight is shaped like a convex curve (whether spherical or parabolic, I don't know) so the water thus far, travels from the edge, down to the lowest point on the outisde of the light, then drops off. This is where I lined up my glass to catch the water.

However, I kept watching it and found that sometimes the water didn't make it quite the way down to the lowest point, and dropped off prematurely. The weird thing was, was that every time it did this, it still landed in the glass.

So, it appears at the moment, that if the water falls of prematurely, the momentum it has carrying it towards the centre is sufficient to make it travel a distance through the air, equal to the distance that it would have moved on the surface of the skylight.

Is this a sort of physical property of an object moving along a curved surface, that my roof is of perfect dimensions for, or am I just seeing a lot of freaky coincidence.

Science news on Phys.org
Puma24 said:
So, it appears at the moment, that if the water falls of prematurely, the momentum it has carrying it towards the centre is sufficient to make it travel a distance through the air, equal to the distance that it would have moved on the surface of the skylight.
I think that's the correct explanation. At the time of release, the drop has some horizontal momentum that is (mostly) maintained and thus the drop travels some horizontal distance before dropping into the glass. As to why some drops detach themselves and others do not, my guess is that at some point along the path the drops that detach themselves are moving too fast and the cohesive force that keeps them on the glass cannot provide the needed centripetal acceleration. Drops that follow a path that is already wetted will move faster that drops following a drier path.

Puma24 said:
However, I kept watching it and found that sometimes the water didn't make it quite the way down to the lowest point, and dropped off prematurely. The weird thing was, was that every time it did this, it still landed in the glass
Are you saying that the drops still landed in glass and always in the centre of the glass?
At one third the size - diameter I presume - that could be a large enough target to not miss, and not a bulls eye every time.

Puma24 said:
Is this a sort of physical property of an object moving along a curved surface, that my roof is of perfect dimensions for, ...
They couldn't make it watertight, so at least they optimized the shape to minimize the size of the bucket needed.

• Haha
Likes kuruman

1. What could be causing my skylight to leak?

There are several potential reasons for a leaking skylight, including improper installation, damaged flashing or sealant, or a cracked skylight itself. It is important to carefully inspect all of these components to determine the root cause of the leak.

2. How can I fix a leaking skylight?

The best way to fix a leaking skylight will depend on the specific cause of the leak. In some cases, simply replacing the sealant or repairing the flashing may solve the issue. In more severe cases, it may be necessary to replace the entire skylight. It is recommended to consult a professional for proper diagnosis and repair.

3. Can I prevent my skylight from leaking in the future?

Yes, there are steps you can take to prevent a skylight from leaking. Regularly inspecting and maintaining the sealant and flashing around the skylight can help prevent leaks. Additionally, ensuring proper installation and using high-quality materials can also help prevent future leaks.

4. Is a leaking skylight a serious problem?

While a leaking skylight may seem like a minor inconvenience, it can actually lead to more serious issues if left untreated. Water damage can occur to the surrounding structure, and mold growth can also be a concern. It is important to address a leaking skylight as soon as possible to prevent further damage.

5. How do I know if my skylight needs to be replaced?

If your skylight is consistently leaking despite attempts to repair it, it may be time to consider replacing it. Additionally, if the skylight is old or damaged, it may be more cost-effective to replace it rather than continue making repairs. A professional can assess the condition of your skylight and recommend the best course of action.