My little theory: what would happen?

• Thread starter phylicity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary: This is the concept of mass that is most useful in particle physics.In summary, the concept of mass in special relativity is a debated topic and there are different definitions of mass. However, in the scenario described, the observer will see the runner gaining relativistic mass while the runner in their own reference frame will only measure their invariant rest mass. This is because relativistic effects work both ways and the observer will also appear differently to the runner due to length contraction and time dilation.
phylicity
First post ever! Long time forum browser, but only registered yesterday! =D
I'm in my final year of high school, and have therefore only properly been doing Physics for two years, but it's something I'd like to pursue in university. Sorry if my knowledge of relativity is lacking a little...

I had this possibly stupid notion a while back... It's all hypothetical obviously:
We, happily standing in our inert reference frame, see someone start to run. They get faster and faster... in fact, they soon approach the speed of light.
Am I right in saying that we will observe them to gain mass?
BUT... in their reference frame, they are stationary. So will they be aware they have gained mass? If they were to measure their own mass, would they find it to have increased?

If anyone has any idea about this, please tell! Not sure if I'm wrong!

Physics news on Phys.org
phylicity said:
BUT... in their reference frame, they are stationary. So will they be aware they have gained mass? If they were to measure their own mass, would they find it to have increased?

No, on both counts. Nor will they notice themselves as being length-contracted, nor will they notice their clocks running slower.

To see why this has to be true, note that relativistic effects work both ways. The runner also observes you as being length-contracted, time-dilated, etc.

Now imagine that you are being observed by two runners, running at different speeds relative to you. The two runners will observe you being affected by different amounts of length contraction, time dilation and relativistic mass increase. But you obviously cannot observe yourself as simultaneously having masses of 70 kg and 100 kg!

Thanks!

phylicity said:
First post ever! Long time forum browser, but only registered yesterday! =D
Welcome to PF! Or at least welcome to the posting side of PF :smile:
phylicity said:
We, happily standing in our inert reference frame, see someone start to run. They get faster and faster... in fact, they soon approach the speed of light.
Am I right in saying that we will observe them to gain mass?
There is more than one concept of mass in SR, and some ongoing debate about which is the best mass to use. We will observe them to gain http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/SR/mass.html" . They will not gain rest mass because it is invariant.
phylicity said:
In their own frame they will obviously only measure their rest mass, which is relativistically invariant and will not change.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is your theory about and how did you come up with it?

My theory is about what would happen if all the ice on Earth melted. I came up with this theory by studying the effects of climate change and sea level rise on our planet.

What are the potential consequences of all the ice on Earth melting?

The potential consequences are widespread and catastrophic. Sea levels would rise, causing displacement of millions of people and destruction of coastal cities. Climate patterns would change, leading to extreme weather events, loss of biodiversity, and disruptions in food production.

Is there any evidence to support your theory?

Yes, there is ample evidence from scientific research and observations that show the effects of melting ice on Earth. Studies have also been done on past periods of ice melt to understand the potential consequences.

What can we do to prevent this from happening?

The most important action we can take is to reduce our carbon emissions and mitigate the effects of climate change. This includes transitioning to renewable energy sources, reducing our carbon footprint, and implementing sustainable practices in various industries.

How can we prepare for the potential consequences of all the ice melting?

We can prepare by investing in infrastructure that can withstand extreme weather events and rising sea levels. We can also develop plans for managing and assisting displaced populations and protecting vulnerable ecosystems. Additionally, continued research and monitoring of the effects of climate change can help us better understand and prepare for potential consequences.