Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My op amp doesn't work well under AC input

1. Aug 20, 2014 #1
    The type of op amp I am using is Voltage-to-Current Amp.

Under DC voltage input, it works perfectly well, boosting the current of a signal generator (DC mode) up to 250mA with the help of single supply working at 25V.

However, when I turn the signal generator in AC mode, hoping to achieve AC current oscillating between the value of +125mA and -125mA by adjusting the offset, I found that the negative current won't decrease.

By decreasing the offset, the positive value keep decrease (from 250 to 200mA), but the negative one get stuck at -4mA.

When the offset is lowered to a certain value, the positive value suddenly drop to negative.

I have no idea what's going on. It is my first time to play with a op amp, I didn't expect it to be so complicated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2014 #2

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

hi there

well lets start by you giving us the actual type of Op-Amp ( model #)
    then lets get a circuit from you that you are working from
    Then a photo or 2 of your actual made up circuit

Then some of us may be able to see if you have made an error either in your circuit or construction etc :smile:

cheers
    Dave

4. Aug 20, 2014 #3

analogdesign

Science Advisor

Indeed, we don't even know what frequency you are operating at, or if you are slewing.

Analog circuits are a bottomless pit of complexity.

5. Aug 20, 2014 #4

Averagesupernova

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well said!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook