Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Op-amp circuits and noise at high frequency/low amplitude

1. Sep 17, 2016 #1
    Hi everyone.

I am tasked with amplifying an input voltage of around 1nA at anywhere between 10,000kHz to 1MHz to a sufficient amount. We've been using op-amps in multiple stages in series to amplify the signal. At our disposal we have a function generator, oscilloscope, breadboard and resistors, capacitors etc. Are there any tricks or techniques I can use to reduce the noise from the op-amps?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2016 #2

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Sep 17, 2016 #3
  5. Sep 17, 2016 #4

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You're wrong. it sounds like you have a false idea of what bandpass filter means. The word "band" means a range of frequencies, such as 10kHz-1MHz.

6. Sep 17, 2016 #5
    Doesn't the op amp kind of work as a low pass filter? At frequencies about 1.5-2MHz+ the gain starts decreasing any way. Also we tried using high-pass filter with an RC circuit that only allows frequencies above 10,000kHz to pass and the amount of noise reduced wasn't dramatic. Is there any other tricks I can use to eliminate noise which aren't just using a filter or is my task limited by the type of op-amp I am using?

7. Sep 17, 2016 #6

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I posted an answer in the original thread.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted