Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My Own website regarding physics and math.

1. Feb 13, 2005 #1
    I've set up my own website,

Please critique the articles on math and physics, especially the more mathematical ones. I fear that there could be problems in my presentation or derivations of certain formulas (in physics) or that my understanding of the concept is just wrong !!!

I have a little question as well:

In deriving the lorentz transform for the x-coordinate, [tex]x'=\gamma(x-vt)[/tex] as compared to the galilean transform [tex] x'=x-vt[/tex]. By taking into account length contraction [tex] x'=\frac{1}{\gamma} x[/tex], shouldn't the lorentz transform be [tex] x=\gamma(x-vt)[/tex] instead of [tex]x'=\gamma(x-vt)[/tex], since if we substitute the length contraction formula, x' is already replaced by x divided by one over gamma?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 13, 2005 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please,set up the problem.Which system is moving wrt which,in what direction,...blah,blah,...

4. Feb 13, 2005 #3
    ^hmmm, apologies if i wasn't specific enough.

Frame S' is moving with velocity v relative to a rest frame S in the positive x direction (i.e. towards the right).
  5. Feb 13, 2005 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm afraid the bolded part is incorrect.It should be [itex]x'=\gamma (x-vt) [/tex] or else [tex] x=\gamma (x'+vt') [/tex].You can find the rigurous proof (which is pretty digestable) in any SR (electrodynamics) book.

6. Feb 14, 2005 #5
    ^ hmm ok, understood, I'll dig up the modern physics textbook again...thanks for the help....

: )
  7. Feb 14, 2005 #6

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then inverse of the Lorentz transform

x' = gamma*(x-v*t)
    t' = gamma*(t-v*x)

is just

x = gamma*(x'+v*t')
    t = gamma*(t' + v*x')

You should be able to simply solve the linear equations to verify this - also note that the inverse of the Lorentz transform is a Lorentz transform with v=-v, which should be obvious if you think about it for a bit.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?