My Own website regarding physics and math.

• Thread starter misogynisticfeminist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation revolves around the set up of a personal website and a request for critique on articles related to math and physics. The main topic of discussion is the Lorentz transform and its comparison to the Galilean transform, with a question raised about the substitution of the length contraction formula. The conversation ends with a clarification and explanation of the inverse of the Lorentz transform.
misogynisticfeminist
I've set up my own website,

http://www.freewebs.com/mouldy-fart/

Please critique the articles on math and physics, especially the more mathematical ones. I fear that there could be problems in my presentation or derivations of certain formulas (in physics) or that my understanding of the concept is just wrong !

I have a little question as well:

In deriving the lorentz transform for the x-coordinate, [tex]x'=\gamma(x-vt)[/tex] as compared to the galilean transform [tex] x'=x-vt[/tex]. By taking into account length contraction [tex] x'=\frac{1}{\gamma} x[/tex], shouldn't the lorentz transform be [tex] x=\gamma(x-vt)[/tex] instead of [tex]x'=\gamma(x-vt)[/tex], since if we substitute the length contraction formula, x' is already replaced by x divided by one over gamma?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please,set up the problem.Which system is moving wrt which,in what direction,...blah,blah,...

Daniel.

^hmmm, apologies if i wasn't specific enough.

Frame S' is moving with velocity v relative to a rest frame S in the positive x direction (i.e. towards the right).

misogynisticfeminist said:
In deriving the lorentz transform for the x-coordinate, [tex]x'=\gamma(x-vt)[/tex] as compared to the galilean transform [tex] x'=x-vt[/tex]. By taking into account length contraction [tex] x'=\frac{1}{\gamma} x[/tex], shouldn't the lorentz transform be [tex] x=\gamma(x-vt)[/tex] instead of [tex]x'=\gamma(x-vt)[/tex], since if we substitute the length contraction formula, x' is already replaced by x divided by one over gamma?

I'm afraid the bolded part is incorrect.It should be [itex]x'=\gamma (x-vt) [/tex] or else [tex] x=\gamma (x'+vt') [/tex].You can find the rigurous proof (which is pretty digestable) in any SR (electrodynamics) book.

Daniel.

^ hmm ok, understood, I'll dig up the modern physics textbook again...thanks for the help...

: )

misogynisticfeminist said:
I've set up my own website,

http://www.freewebs.com/mouldy-fart/

I have a little question as well:

Then inverse of the Lorentz transform

x' = gamma*(x-v*t)
t' = gamma*(t-v*x)

is just

x = gamma*(x'+v*t')
t = gamma*(t' + v*x')

You should be able to simply solve the linear equations to verify this - also note that the inverse of the Lorentz transform is a Lorentz transform with v=-v, which should be obvious if you think about it for a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: My Own website regarding physics and math.

1. How can I create a website for physics and math?

There are several options for creating a website for physics and math. You can use a website builder like Wix or WordPress, or you can code your own website using HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. There are also platforms specifically designed for creating educational websites, such as Weebly Education or Google Sites.

2. What content should I include on my physics and math website?

Your website should include information about yourself, your education and experience in physics and math, as well as the topics you will cover on your site. You can also include interactive tools, videos, and resources for students and teachers.

3. How can I make my website visually appealing?

To make your website visually appealing, use a clean and modern design with consistent fonts and colors. Use high-quality images and graphics to illustrate concepts and break up text. You can also use animations or interactive elements to engage visitors.

4. Can I include equations and formulas on my website?

Yes, you can include equations and formulas on your website. You can either use a plugin or code them directly into your website using LaTeX, a typesetting language specifically designed for mathematical equations. Make sure to use clear and readable fonts for equations.

5. How can I promote my physics and math website?

To promote your website, you can share it on social media, join online communities and forums related to physics and math, and reach out to other educators and websites to collaborate or exchange links. You can also use search engine optimization techniques to increase your website's visibility on search engines.