1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My problem: weight distribution

1. Jan 22, 2007 #1
    My problem:

2 people attempt to lift a 600lbs square box that is 3'x3'. They are not able to.
    The same 2 people than are able to move another box that is also 600lbs but this box is 1'x5'.
    Now is it true that they are able to move the 2nd box because the weight of 600lbs is distributed over a wider area?

If so is there a name for this theory, that i can look up?

Thanks
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2007 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

A box has 3 dimensions. What are the 3 dimensions of the two different boxes? (use Length x Width x Height)

If they're the same weight, the only thing I can think of is that it is easier somehow for the two people to get hold of the box and lift with their legs better. Like, if the first box makes it awkward for them to get their heads over their hands.

4. Jan 22, 2007 #3
    1st box 3x3x3
    2nd box 1x5x3

5. Jan 22, 2007 #4

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Beats me. Maybe there's more to the problem than you are stating. For example, you said "lift" for the 1st box, but "move" for the second one. Why the difference? And with the full dimensions you list, the densities of the boxes must be different if they weigh the same but have different volumes. Maybe the 2nd box is easier to tip over because it has a narrower base?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?