• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

My problem: weight distribution

• Thread starter skeonamm
  • Start date
My problem:

2 people attempt to lift a 600lbs square box that is 3'x3'. They are not able to.
The same 2 people than are able to move another box that is also 600lbs but this box is 1'x5'.
Now is it true that they are able to move the 2nd box because the weight of 600lbs is distributed over a wider area?

If so is there a name for this theory, that i can look up?

Thanks
1. Homework Statement

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Answers and Replies

berkeman
Mentor
A box has 3 dimensions. What are the 3 dimensions of the two different boxes? (use Length x Width x Height)

If they're the same weight, the only thing I can think of is that it is easier somehow for the two people to get hold of the box and lift with their legs better. Like, if the first box makes it awkward for them to get their heads over their hands.

1st box 3x3x3
2nd box 1x5x3

berkeman
Mentor
Beats me. Maybe there's more to the problem than you are stating. For example, you said "lift" for the 1st box, but "move" for the second one. Why the difference? And with the full dimensions you list, the densities of the boxes must be different if they weigh the same but have different volumes. Maybe the 2nd box is easier to tip over because it has a narrower base?