My Python Library For Finite Difference Method

In summary, the library is designed to help with the solution of finite difference problems, and is designed for use with boundary value problems.
person123
I recently made a Python library for modelling (very basic) finite difference problems. The Github readme goes into details of what it does and how it works, and I put together a Google Colab with some examples (diffusion, advection, water wave refraction) with interactive visuals.

I'd love to hear what people think: general feedback, if they're running into issues, things they would want to see included. It's still in an early phase, and I would like to add to it. If anyone wants to contribute, let me know!

Likes Wrichik Basu
Technology news on Phys.org
Off-topic: You could consider enabling Discussions in your repo.

Likes person123
Wrichik Basu said:
Off-topic: You could consider enabling Discussions in your repo.
I enabled discussions :)
Feel free to post any thoughts, critiques you have with the project idea or issues you have using it, directions you would like to see it go, interest in collaboration etc.

Likes Wrichik Basu
@person123, would your program be able to solve very elementary difference equation problems like this?
Find an equation of the function that contains the points (1, 1), (2, 8), (3, 27), (4, 64).

Mark44 said:
@person123, would your program be able to solve very elementary difference equation problems like this?
Find an equation of the function that contains the points (1, 1), (2, 8), (3, 27), (4, 64).
The one-word answer: no.

So far, I've just focused on specifying analytical equations as input, but getting numerical solutions as output. The user specifies initial conditions and boundary conditions for fields, and they see how the field evolves with time under differential equations. But the computation is performed numerically, and the solution is values at each point in the domain. Basically, it's been a tool for numerical models, not for analytical solutions. (I go into more details on what it can do in the github readme).

Is it possible we're thinking of two different things? Maybe you're thinking of interpolation using finite differences, like Lagrange interpolation, while I'm thinking of the finite difference method for numerical modeling (in contrast with finite volume and finite element). But I'm also not very familiar with the former, so maybe there's a connection I'm not seeing.

@Mark44 Looking at that page, it does seem like there's a connection. While my library can't do interpolation, it can approximate derivatives, seen in the "Relation With Derivatives" and "Higher-order differences" sections (this is actually critical for my library doing anything useful at all). Namely, given some arbitrary coordinates, and the derivative order, inputted as the following:

Python:
d2 = fd.Stencil([-1,0,1], der_order = 2)

It creates a "Stencil" object, a numerical approximation for the second derivative, and prints the equation (sadly not displayed in latex):

Finite approximation: f'' = [f(x-h) - 2f(x+0h) + f(x+h)] / [h^2]

This derivative approximation is then used for modeling the partial differential equation.

I think mathematically, this is similar to interpolating points with polynomials, since they both rely on Taylor series. But for numerical modeling, I think what you care about is constructing a numerical approximation from an analytical derivative, instead of constructing an analytical equation from numeric values. Maybe there would be an application for interpolation as well though, I'm not sure.

Mark44 said:
Could be, although it's been many years since I did anything with finite differences.
I think the confusion arises because of the difference between the terminology in the title, which is correct:
person123 said:
My Python Library For Finite Difference Method
and in the introduction in the first post, which is not
person123 said:
I recently made a Python library for modelling (very basic) finite difference problems.

Finite difference methods are a class of methods for numerically solving systems of (usually partial) differential equations with given boundary conditions: these are often referred to as boundary value problems (BVPs) to distinguish them from initial value problems (IVPs) for which other methods are used. Finite difference problems aren't really a thing, but if they were then they would be what @Mark44 had in mind.

So the introduction would be better phrased as "I recently made a Python library for modelling (very basic) systems of differential equations using finite difference methods" or "I recently made a Python library for numerical solution of (very basic) boundary value problems using finite difference methods".

Last edited:
Likes person123 and Wrichik Basu
@pbuk Thank you, yes, it sounds like that was the source of the confusion. It looks like I made the post too long ago to edit, but that change would be more accurate.

Likes berkeman

1. What is a finite difference method?

A finite difference method is a numerical technique used to solve differential equations by approximating them with discrete differences. It involves dividing the domain into a finite number of discrete points and approximating the derivatives at each point using finite difference formulas. This method is widely used in solving problems in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. What is the purpose of your Python library?

The purpose of my Python library for finite difference method is to provide a set of functions and classes that allow users to easily implement the finite difference method for solving differential equations. It includes functions for setting up the problem, calculating the numerical solution, and visualizing the results.

3. What type of problems can your library solve?

My library is designed to solve a wide range of problems that can be expressed as differential equations. This includes problems in heat transfer, fluid dynamics, quantum mechanics, and many others. It can handle both linear and nonlinear equations with various boundary conditions.

4. Is your library suitable for beginners?

Yes, my library is designed to be user-friendly and accessible for beginners. It includes detailed documentation and examples to help users understand the concepts and use the functions correctly. However, a basic understanding of Python programming and differential equations is recommended.

5. Can your library handle higher-order finite difference schemes?

Yes, my library supports higher-order finite difference schemes, including central, forward, and backward difference formulas. Users can choose the appropriate scheme based on their problem and accuracy requirements. Additionally, the library allows for customization of the finite difference scheme to meet specific needs.