1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My solution doesnt match the Schaums Collgege Physics book.

1. Aug 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Imagine that a block of mass m2 is on top of block m1, which is on top a horizontal floor. m1>m2. A force F is applied to block 1 to the right. Both block1 and block2 are connected to the same pulley. In other words, one end of the pulley is connected to block1, and the other end of the pulley is connected to block2. The angle the cords make with each block is 0 degrees.For those of you with Schaum's College physics 10th edition, the question is chapter 3 excercise 35.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Let f be the coefficient of friction experienced by block2. In the free body diagram for block 2 (the block on top), I have developed the equation that Tension - f*m2*g =m2*a. But the book says that Tension = f*m2*g = m2*a. What have I done wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 24, 2012 #2
    Here is a picture of the question. image.jpg

4. Aug 24, 2012 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I'd say you were correct.

5. Aug 24, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I think it's just a typo. That first = sign was meant to be a minus sign.

6. Aug 24, 2012 #5
    Thanks Doc Al.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook