Block and Pulley System: Acceleration and Tension Homework Solution

• Thread starter NoobeAtPhysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation discusses a block and pulley system with frictionless surfaces and massless and frictionless pulleys. The task is to express the magnitude of the acceleration of Block 2, a2, in terms of a1 and/or a3 using the equation F=ma. The attempted solution is a2=[2(a1)-m2*g]/m2, but the correct answer is a2=(a1+a3)/2. The conversation includes hints and equations to help understand and solve the problem.
NoobeAtPhysics

Homework Statement

The diagram shows a block and pulley
system where all the surfaces are
frictionless, and all the pulleys are
massless and frictionless.

Express the magnitude of the acceleration of Block 2, a2, in terms of a1 and/or a3.

nyinvm.jpg

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

FBD for block 1
m1 * a1 = T
a1 = T

fbd for block2

m2 * a2 = 2T - m2*g

a2 = [2(a1) -m2*g]/m2

a2 = a1 - g

But i am wrong for some reason..

It looks like the answer is a2=3/2 * a3 or 3/4*a1

Any help would be awesome

Physics news on Phys.org
Any ideas

The answer is a2=3/2 * a3 or 3/4*a1 which is the solution, I'm not sure how that was achieved.

Last edited:
NoobeAtPhysics said:
a2 = [2(a1) -m2*g]/m2

a2 = a1 - g

But i am wrong for some reason..
Hi NoobeAtPhysics. There is a bit of mind reading involved, but you haven't got to the intended answer only because you have expressed a2 in terms of a1 and g. You are to find it in terms of a1 alone.

There is a relationship you have overlooked, viz., the linking rope dictates that the motion of block 2 is tightly tied (no pun intended :smile:) to the motions of blocks 1 and 3.

The speed of descent of 2 is the average of the speeds of 1 and 3. The distance through which 2 descends is the average of the distances moved by 1 and 3. Likewise, the magnitude of the acceleration of 2 is related to the accelerations of 1 and 3...

It looks like the answer is a2=3/2 * a3 or 3/4*a1
I agree.

Hmm, I still don't comprehend why mathematically the solution is what it is

NoobeAtPhysics said:
Hmm, I still don't comprehend why mathematically the solution is what it is
Can you figure out the simple equation relating the acceleration of 2 to the accelerations of 1 and 3? There is a strong logical hint in the way I worded this:
The speed of descent of 2 is the average of the speeds of 1 and 3. The distance through which 2 descends is the average of the distances moved by 1 and 3. Likewise, the magnitude of the acceleration of 2 is related to the accelerations of 1 and 3...

:wink:

The first step is to establish the kinematics of the motion. Suppose mass 3 is held fixed, and mass 1 moves to the right by 1 unit. How much does mass 2 move downward? Then, suppose that mass 1 is subsequently held fixed, and mass 3 moves to the left by 1 unit. How much does mass 2 move downward? From this, you should be able to conclude that a2=(a1+a3)/2.

Chet

What is tension and why is it an issue?

Tension is a feeling of strain or pressure, either physical or emotional. It can arise from various factors such as stress, anxiety, or conflict. It becomes an issue when it starts to negatively impact a person's well-being and daily life.

How can I identify if I am experiencing tension?

Some common signs of tension include muscle tension, headaches, restlessness, trouble sleeping, and changes in appetite. You may also feel irritable, overwhelmed, or have difficulty concentrating. It is important to pay attention to your body and emotions to identify any tension you may be experiencing.

What are some ways to reduce tension?

There are several ways to reduce tension, including practicing relaxation techniques such as deep breathing, meditation, and yoga. Engaging in physical activity, getting enough sleep, and maintaining a healthy diet can also help. Additionally, talking to a therapist or seeking support from loved ones can be beneficial in managing tension.

How can I prevent tension from becoming a chronic issue?

Preventing tension from becoming chronic involves managing stress and emotions effectively. This can include setting boundaries, practicing self-care, and finding healthy ways to cope with stress. It is also important to address any underlying issues that may be causing tension and seek help if needed.

When should I seek professional help for tension?

If tension is significantly impacting your daily life and you are having trouble managing it on your own, it may be time to seek professional help. A therapist or counselor can provide personalized strategies and support to help you effectively cope with tension and prevent it from becoming a chronic issue.