Weight Loss Plan: Smoking 2 Packs/Day for Results

In summary, the Smoker's Weight Loss Plan calls for smoking at least 2 packs per day in order to lose weight. The plan has many negative effects, but may be effective for those who are overweight.
I can't stand the Atkins diet...the theory that you cut out refined carbs is accurate, but don't double up on the fats and load up on the meat so much...Lately my diet consists of cheeses, Kashi cereal (it's soooo good), soy milk (regular milk makes me sick), oranges and LOTS of green veggies...chicken and fish dot my diet once to twice a week too...I completely avoid sodas-even diet-but still have a weakness for my morning cup of coffee...I do indulge in good chocolate every so often, but stay away from the quick sugar snacks...

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Evo
Be careful not to lose too much too fast. At least you are on a healthy sensible diet.

So, is this a leaner, meaner zero?
Let's not even talk about me being meaner...I'm not quite as lean as I would like, I'm aiming for about 12% bodyfat. When I get down to my goal, I'll be sure to post pictures of me in bodybuilder poses, all shaved-chest and oiled body...

I'd heard men can get it as low as 2%...don't know about Akins, heard a little though...the rest, 'my' diet, I have no control over...

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
I'd heard men can get it as low as 2%...don't know about Akins, heard a little though...the rest, 'my' diet, I have no control over...
2% bodyfat isn't really healthy, that's starvation territory there. Your body needs a certain amount of fat just to operate day to day.

Originally posted by Zero
Let's not even talk about me being meaner...I'm not quite as lean as I would like, I'm aiming for about 12% bodyfat. When I get down to my goal, I'll be sure to post pictures of me in bodybuilder poses, all shaved-chest and oiled body...
Promises...promises...

I find a sharp mind and ascerbic wit extremely attractive on it's own.

Originally posted by Evo
Promises...promises...

I find a sharp mind and ascerbic wit extremely attractive on it's own.
Right...but a sharp mind is nothing without a flat tummy.

2% bodyfat isn't really healthy, that's starvation territory there. Your body needs a certain amount of fat just to operate day to day.
It's when you get down to just a brain, left, as body 'fat'...the rest you can get simply from eating daily...whatever that means (hee hee )

What BF are you at now? How tall are you?

I am unsure if you were being sarcastic about the bodybuilder part, but if you weren't, 12% won't look very good oiled up.

Originally posted by samoth
What BF are you at now? How tall are you?

I am unsure if you were being sarcastic about the bodybuilder part, but if you weren't, 12% won't look very good oiled up.
I was just kidding about getting oily...jeez, how cheesy would that be?

I'm 5'7", 210, and about 18% bodyfat...when I get down to about 180 and 10% bodyfat, I'll be just about perfect.

I'm 5'7", 210, and about 18% bodyfat...when I get down to about 180 and 10% bodyfat, I'll be just about perfect.
Yikes! I'm 5' 11" and bout 180 lbs, sink when I exhale in a pool of water, barely float, just the very last inch of my head, when I have lungs full of air...don't know what percentage that actually is, but I've not a lot of body fat...

Yikes! I'm 5' 11" and bout 180 lbs, sink when I exhale in a pool of water, barely float, just the very last inch of my head, when I have lungs full of air...don't know what percentage that actually is, but I've not a lot of body fat...

Yeah, well...my chest-to-waist ratio is really good...I can carry 180 and look really really buff, you know? I sink pretty well myself, I've got a 50" chest though...

Yeah, well...my chest-to-waist ratio is really good...I can carry 180 and look really really buff, you know? I sink pretty well myself, I've got a 50" chest though...
YIKES!

...well, not really, but...

It's not my fault I'm built like a tank, is it?

It's not my fault I'm built like a tank, is it?
YUP ENTIRELY DEFINATELY who else but...right? (or left?)

:frown:

:frown:

Awwwww, sorry... [b(]

Actually, I am a competitive powerlifter, so I wasn't implying anything 'cheesy' with posing. If I had better upper body symmetry, I would be oiled up on stage myself.

You have decent stats... but taking yourself down to 180 will be a lot of hard work if you plan to do so whilst conserving muscle. Well, hard to do naturally, at least.

Do you lift weights, do a lot or cardio, or participate in any athletics?

Heck I got from 220 plus to less the 180 in less then 35 days (not really healthy and I do NOT recommend it) by riding a bicycle from Kingston Ontario, to Carman Manitoba, in ~34 (or 35) days, back in Ninty-nine...last century...not enough food, but maintained muscle mass(es)...

Originally posted by samoth
Actually, I am a competitive powerlifter, so I wasn't implying anything 'cheesy' with posing. If I had better upper body symmetry, I would be oiled up on stage myself.

You have decent stats... but taking yourself down to 180 will be a lot of hard work if you plan to do so whilst conserving muscle. Well, hard to do naturally, at least.

Do you lift weights, do a lot or cardio, or participate in any athletics?
I lift, I ride my bike for about an hour 4-5 days a week, and go for long walks every Sunday. I'm just combating years of neglect, I expect the weight will be gone by the end of the summer.

I lift, I ride my bike for about an hour 4-5 days a week, and go for long walks every Sunday. I'm just combating years of neglect, I expect the weight will be gone by the end of the summer.
Keep that 'head bleed' that your avie shows, and you'll be a lot less then that, sooner

Wrote a book, years back, never published, the advice I gave on 'diet' was simple, excersize, cause you can eat pretty well anything, or everything, you want, if you get enough good/healthy excersize, and then you will figure out, for yourself, that way, that nutrition counts...energy...

Recall when I was overweight, didn't like it, felt tired more often, harder just to get up out of a chair, or seat, warmer too, body fat seemed to store more heat differently, but when you get cold, OOHHHH it is COLD...didn't like the way I Looked, either, but that was sort of really low on the "list" (no list! just thoughts)...

Best be healthy, and in a 'timely' manner...

What kind of weight lifting do you do? Just casual?

I really recommend looking into powerlifting. Not so much as to push heavy weights around, but more because PLing really concentrates on your 'core', specifically, your lower back. I hear so many people, young and old, comment about back pain. A strong back will benefit a person for life.

Further, it concentrates on compound movements. This gives a more permanent physique change when compared to, for example, the lifting college kids do around me -- bicep curls followed by bench press with feet dangling in front and poised to hump the ceiling. Really, what is the point of doing bicep curls for years on end, other than attention from others?

Just a suggestion... important exercises and form are too often neglected for ego and attention.

Oh yeah... 50" chest? Dang... I'm jealous!

Wrote a book, years back, never published, the advice I gave on 'diet' was simple, excersize, cause you can eat pretty well anything, or everything, you want, if you get enough good/healthy excersize, and then you will figure out, for yourself, that way, that nutrition counts...energy...

I tell people the same thing. People don't realize the extent to which this is true. I tell people this, and they just laugh it off.

Recall when I was overweight, didn't like it, felt tired more often, harder just to get up out of a chair, or seat, warmer too, body fat seemed to store more heat differently, but when you get cold, OOHHHH it is COLD...didn't like the way I Looked, either, but that was sort of really low on the "list" (no list! just thoughts)...

When I bulk up in the winter, I feel the same way. My summer/competition weight is 195, and I usually hit 225ish during the winters. Only thing is, I never get cold. I sweat walking to class in the middle of winter. Then again, my body isn't naturally 225 punds either, so maybe that's it's way of protesting!

Best be healthy, and in a 'timely' manner...

Wise words.

Got to read an excellant article in a recent edition of Mens Health magazine, called "Kill Bob"...about the corporeal effects of starvation...ie some of the Irish hunger strikers were some of the sources of information, the Holocaust surviors (inadvertently) added as well...and a doctors advise...too...

Apparently 4 (to 7) days, your carb reserves are gone, and your body is now in 'muscle depletion (self canabalisation) mode'...damage can (potentially) be done to several of the internal organs, the Brain (hence cognitive skills) suffers, as it's only fuel is glucose, (and your outa that) lots of other "symptoms" that are associated with this activity, making it an activity that is NOT doctor recomended...least not by the one associated with that article...

So diet is important! so is excersize! and, not unlike a guitar, (Buddha's example) it needs be balanced to be properly tuned...
and if you fast...for a day...that should be OK, but no more(?)...

(It is your choice, But I would recommend against prolonged)

Apparently 4 (to 7) days, your carb reserves are gone, and your body is now in 'muscle depletion (self canabalisation) mode'...damage can (potentially) be done to several of the internal organs, the Brain (hence cognitive skills) suffers, as it's only fuel is glucose, (and your outa that) lots of other "symptoms" that are associated with this activity, making it an activity that is NOT doctor recomended...

Interesting. There is something similar within competitive bodybuilding rings. The original model (first within the weightlifting scene) was proposed in a book called "Dirty Dieting" by Dan Duchain. Basically a diet book for people that weren't fat. It involved entering ketosis through extreme carb depletion, and was done in a specific 6 day cycle of depletion, ketosis, and carb-up.

So diet is important! so is excersize! and, not unlike a guitar, (Buddha's example) it needs be balanced to be properly tuned...
and if you fast...for a day...that should be OK, but no more(?)...

(It is your choice, But I would recommend against prolonged)

I don't know how much truth there is to this, but I have heard that fasting can actually be healthy and increase longevity. Granted, nothing extreme.

Here's a simple fitness plan:

30-45 minutes moderate pace on a treadmill, bike or stairclimber
3-4 times a week
Cut down on carbs late at night. Don't eat 2 hours before you sleep

Last edited:
The_Professional said:
Here's a simple fitness plan:

30-45 minutes moderate pace on a treadmill, bike or stairclimber
3-4 times a week
Cut down on carbs late at night. Don't eat 2 hours before you sleep
Hummm yeah try SIX hours before bed as, once asleep, your digestive systems slows to such a crawl rate that, effectively, the food has more of a chance of rotting in you then being absorbed as digestant, fruits especially as they are/tend to be acidic, and break down (or rot...yes, inside of you, they can) quickly...

Brekie like a King, lunch like a Prince, dinner like a pauper...
Brekie like a Queen, lunch lke a Princess, dinner like a Pauper...
Exercise??...YUP! only way...:cool:

Mr. Robin Parsons said:
Hummm yeah try SIX hours before bed as, once asleep, your digestive systems slows to such a crawl rate that, effectively, the food has more of a chance of rotting in you then being absorbed as digestant, fruits especially as they are/tend to be acidic, and break down (or rot...yes, inside of you, they can) quickly...

Not eating 2 hours before is hard enough for most people. 6 hours is fasting LOL

For myself that had been (/is, as best as I can control things) the way I liked it, then again, if your a little bit hungry 4 hrs prior, just eat a piece of cake, a big one, it's sugar, so you'll probably use most it up before bed... (but NOT fruit{y} cake!)

...Lets Them Eat cake! WooooHooo!

Cake would be incredibly difficult to burn 2 hours prior, Yikes. It would certainly kill the definition of the abs and raise glycemic index.

I find that doing some workout before sleeping helps.

Sugar goes through fairly quickly, and dependant upon type, and quantity, can be a deficeit food on the energy graph, half an hour (+) of boost, followed by a lowering of energy level, due to metabolic requirements, that can exceed the energy gain from the food itself...plus I had said four hours, and working out that close to bedtime, well, I sleep better if I "rest" (rather then 'pump' {IRON!}) a little, prior to bedtime...

why not just crawl into a whisky bottle and live there for a while? Would make you lose weight.

Actually, i did find that drinking a a cup of young virgin's blood is good for weight loss. Keeps me looking 19 and everyone knows they have good metabolism, so it's a win-win situation... apart from for the young virgin.

Living in a whiskey bottle isn't living, it's slow, laborious, death by cumulative damages...better just to eat healthy, and marry well (personality wise)