Mysterious floating drop down menus

• Thread starter cepheid
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a "scary" issue where a large number of drop down menus spontaneously appear and are clickable but empty and black. The version of Internet Explorer being used is 6.0 and the issue seems to have been resolved after restarting the browser. The conversation also mentions that IE has many bugs.
cepheid
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
When I scroll downward in PF...a whole bunch of drop down menus (white bars with blue boxes with arrows in them...just like the drop down menu to choose your font when you're posting a message) appear spontaneously one above the other (vertically aligned) floating in the middle of the screen. What's really scary is that I can click on the arrows and the menus drop down, but they are empty. And they are black, not white. The more I scroll down, the more appear.

:eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
Which browser? Version?

- Warren

Internet Explorer 6.0...more or less

...More or less? If you have extensions or add-ons we probably can't diagnose anything.

- Warren

Yeah, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to suggest that I had all sorts of unofficial add ins. It's just that when I went to Help > About Internet Explorer, the version given there was kind of...convoluted: 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158

I went to program files and looked up the file version of the iexplore program by clicking on properties. It came up as just: 6.0.2900.2180

I hope this information is more useful.

I've come back to PF...the "phenomenon" is no longer in evidence. That's wacky. I guess many people here are probably not even awake, let along online, So I'll shut up about it now...

cepheid said:
I've come back to PF...the "phenomenon" is no longer in evidence. That's wacky. I guess many people here are probably not even awake, let along online, So I'll shut up about it now...

IE unfortunately has many many bugs so it's not unlikely that IE tripped up and a restart fixed it.

1. What are mysterious floating drop down menus?

Mysterious floating drop down menus are interactive user interface elements that appear when a user hovers over or clicks on a specific area on a webpage. They typically contain a list of options or links that the user can select from.

2. How do mysterious floating drop down menus work?

Mysterious floating drop down menus are created using a combination of HTML, CSS, and JavaScript. The HTML provides the structure of the menu, the CSS styles it, and the JavaScript makes it interactive by allowing it to appear and disappear upon user interaction.

3. Why are mysterious floating drop down menus used?

Mysterious floating drop down menus are used to save space on a webpage and provide a cleaner, more organized design. They also allow for more options to be included without cluttering the page.

4. Can I customize the appearance of mysterious floating drop down menus?

Yes, the appearance of mysterious floating drop down menus can be customized using CSS. You can change the color, size, font, and other styles to match the design of your webpage.

5. Are mysterious floating drop down menus accessible?

Yes, it is important to ensure that mysterious floating drop down menus are accessible to all users, including those with disabilities. This can be achieved by implementing proper labeling and keyboard navigation for the menu.