Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mystery Bulge in Oregon Still Growing

1. Sep 10, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.livescience.com/forcesofnature/ap_050906_sisters_bulge.html

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2005 #2

LURCH

Science Advisor

I was just discussing that with my friend who lives in that area. I think it's an attempt to improve tsunami prevention. Make the whole area higher ground!

4. Sep 10, 2005 #3

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Considering that Bend is already at an elevation of 3,623', is about 150 miles from the coast, and has the Cascade mountain range between it and the Pacific, wouldn't that be overkill?

5. Sep 10, 2005 #4
    I had thought perhaps Ivan has put on a few pounds with all the good BBQ in the summer.
    If it is a magma pool, will it erupt? or will it just ooze out? Thats a very large area.

6. Sep 10, 2005 #5

LURCH

Science Advisor

The latest theory is that it will produce a small eruption that will add a new "Sister" to the mountains already standing there (assuming it doesn't just subside). My friend Brian in Eugene is kind-of hoping this proves true, as he would be close enough to possibly see the glow at night and cloud in the day; maybe even take occasional trips closer in to watch the show, but the area is remote enough that such a small eruption would not be likely to produce casualties.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?