Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

N. Korea Agrees to Halt Nuclear Arms Program

1. Sep 19, 2005 #1
    I was just reading about this.

Am I confused or did Gee Dub NOT ridicule Kerry for his plan to have multi-lateral talks with N Korea about their Nuclear Program?

It came up several times in the pre-election debates and each time Bush smirked and did that chuckle [sarcasm]that makes him look so smart[/sarcasm] at the fact that Kerry planned to have anything OTHER than Bi-lateral talks with N Korea.

When given a chance to respond Bush always stated flatly "It just won't work!!!" and then lept immediatly into mocking Kerry being open to entering into the Kyoto accord. (sp?)

Now to see this administration has done what they said was a dumb idea, and the resulting success, makes me say WHA?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2005 #2

SOS2008

Gold Member

Here is one link to an article on the topic: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9375104/

The key will be the international weapon inspections, with the help of the UN. This solution is possible because it is not the usual unilateral mentality, and because the UN is still around.

4. Sep 19, 2005 #3

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That's not how I recall it. Kerry was speaking for bilateral talks in addition to multi-lateral talks (no idea how that works :confused:). Bush was arguing for multi-lateral talks and the importance of bring the other Asian countries into the diplomatic equation.

5. Sep 19, 2005 #4

SOS2008

Gold Member

Correct. Though Bush defended preemption in regard to Iraq, he was favorable to a multinational approach to N. Korea and Iran (though he seems to be reverting to his Iraq tactics where Iran is concerned). Kerry argued that Bush had done nothing for two years so the situation had become worse:

http://www.debates.org/pages/trans2004a.html

If one has time to read these, it is interesting in retrospect.

6. Sep 19, 2005 #5
    I'm sorry if this comes off as nit-picking but this is one thing that really gets my goat; he didn't preempt anything. The attack on Iraq was arguably preventive, but not even by Bush's own words was it a response to an imminent threat.

As for the news, all I can say is; yay! We get our fears eased by inspections and disarmament and N.Korea gets its power, seems like everyone wins as long as this holds up.

7. Sep 19, 2005 #6

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Other way around.

The key was to get CHINA CHINA CHINA in on this. Hell bi-lat. talks are even good enough as long as that other side was China, they are key to this whole situation.

8. Sep 19, 2005 #7

SOS2008

Gold Member

kyleb, you are right, and I agree. That was the term Bush used in the debate.

9. Sep 19, 2005 #8

Pengwuino

Gold Member

How did this turn into Iraq so quickly...

10. Sep 19, 2005 #9

SOS2008

Gold Member

The "axis of evil" tend to be discussed in comparative ways?

11. Sep 20, 2005 #10

Art

It appears N Korea has had a change of mind.
    http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30200-13442077,00.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?