Computing F with Nabla Identity: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation is about computing the vector F in terms of the electrodynamic Nabla identity, specifically discussing how to account for the "cross" terms in the formula. It is clarified that the basis vectors are constant in this case, making the calculation simpler.
rakso
TL;DR Summary
Nabla identity
Hi!

The topic is electrodynamic but it's a question about Nabla identity. Given $$ F = (p \cdot \nabla)E $$

How does one compute F? Is this correct?

$$ F = \sum_{i} p_i \partial_{i} E_{i} e_{i} $$

Physics news on Phys.org
Not quite. You missed the "cross" terms.
$$\vec F=\sum_i p_i \partial_i \left(\sum_j E_j \hat e_j\right).$$

Likes rakso
Ah, I see.

So for example, if we're in ## R^3 ##, ## \vec{F} ## would then be

## \vec{F} = (p_1 \partial_1 + p_2 \partial_2 + p_3 \partial_3) \vec{E} = (p_1 \partial_1 E_1 + p_2 \partial_2 E_1 + p_3 \partial_3 E_1)\hat{e}_1 + (p_1 \partial_1 E_2 + p_2 \partial_2 E_2 + p_3 \partial_3 E_2)\hat{e}_2 + (p_1 \partial_1 E_3 + p_2 \partial_2 E_3 + p_3 \partial_3 E_3)\hat{e}_3##

Assuming that the basis vectors are constant?

Sure, if you have a Cartesian basis, they are independent of position and thus in this case you simply have
$$f_i=p_j \partial_j E_i.$$

Likes rakso

1. What is the purpose of computing F with Nabla Identity?

The purpose of computing F with Nabla Identity is to understand and analyze the behavior of a system or function by using the gradient operator, also known as the Nabla operator. This allows for the calculation of the rate of change of a function in different directions, providing valuable insights into the behavior of the system.

2. What is the Nabla Identity?

The Nabla Identity is a mathematical identity that relates the gradient operator to the divergence and curl operators. It states that the divergence of the gradient of a scalar function is equal to the Laplacian of that function, and the curl of the gradient of a vector function is equal to the zero vector. In other words, it shows the relationship between the three fundamental operations in vector calculus.

3. How do you compute F with Nabla Identity?

To compute F with Nabla Identity, you first need to take the gradient of the function F using the Nabla operator. Then, you can apply the Nabla Identity by taking the divergence of the gradient for a scalar function, or the curl of the gradient for a vector function. This will result in a simpler expression that can provide valuable insights into the behavior of the system.

4. What are the benefits of using Nabla Identity in computing F?

Using the Nabla Identity in computing F can provide a deeper understanding of the behavior of a system or function. It allows for the calculation of the rate of change in different directions, which can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. It also simplifies the expression for F, making it easier to analyze and interpret the results.

5. Are there any limitations to using Nabla Identity in computing F?

While the Nabla Identity is a powerful tool for computing F, it does have some limitations. It may not be applicable to all functions or systems, and it is important to understand the underlying assumptions and conditions for its use. Additionally, the calculation of the gradient, divergence, and curl can be complex and time-consuming for more complicated functions, which may limit its practical use in certain situations.