NASA prerequisites for engineering

In summary, the individual is interested in working at NASA and has found the career of professional engineering to be of interest. They are seeking information on what courses to take in Canada for this career, as well as potential careers at NASA that may have a shortage of workers and which careers are currently seeing growth and opportunities. They also want to understand the difference between engineers and engineering directors in terms of daily tasks and when they should start preparing for a career at NASA. They have been told by teachers that engineers who become directors often do not enjoy the management aspect of the role.
Moe_the_Genius
Hi,

I have been looking through the main NASA site for an opportunity of working at NASA in the future. I have found the career that I found interesting: professional engineering. I have been informed that NASA is the best place to work and have always dreamed of going there myself to see what it is like being at NASA.

1) I would like to know what courses students entering university who consider working as a professional engineer at NASA should take in Canada.
2) I would like to know if there are any other careers at NASA which seem to be lacking enough people.
3) I would like to know which careers are currently advancing greatly and have a good future right now at NASA.

I wish to know what the difference between engineers and engineering directors is in terms of their daily tasks. Lastly, how far ahead should I be thinking and preparing for NASA?

Thank you very much,

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
From various teachers, I've been told that engineering directors just manage engineers. Long time engineers are usually "promoted" to director/manager. All engineers hate it because they like doing what they're good at, not managing people and playing personal politics. Of course, this is a rather unbalanced view, but if you stick a technically oriented person into what is basically a human resources position, they're not going to like it.

Dear ,

Thank you for your interest in working at NASA. We are always excited to hear from passionate individuals like yourself who are interested in pursuing a career in engineering at NASA. In order to provide you with the most accurate information, I would recommend reaching out to our Human Resources department for specific prerequisites for engineering positions at NASA. They will be able to provide you with the most up-to-date requirements for university courses and any other necessary qualifications.

In addition to engineering, there are various other career opportunities at NASA that are in high demand. Some of these include computer science, data analysis, and project management. I would suggest exploring our website and job listings to see what positions are currently available and which ones align with your interests and skills.

As for careers that are currently advancing and have a good future at NASA, our focus is constantly shifting and evolving as we strive to achieve our mission. However, some areas that are currently seeing advancements and opportunities include aerospace engineering, robotics, and space exploration.

In terms of the difference between engineers and engineering directors, engineers are responsible for designing, developing, and testing new technologies and systems, while engineering directors oversee and manage these projects and teams of engineers. Their daily tasks may vary, but both play crucial roles in the success of our missions.

Lastly, it is never too early to start preparing for a career at NASA. We highly value individuals who have a strong academic background, relevant experience, and a passion for our mission. I would recommend focusing on excelling in your studies and gaining practical experience in your field of interest.

Thank you again for your interest in NASA. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

[NASA Representative]

1. What are the educational requirements to become an engineer at NASA?

To become an engineer at NASA, you must possess at least a bachelor's degree in engineering from an accredited university. Some positions may also require a master's degree or Ph.D. in a specific engineering field.

2. Are there any specific courses or majors that are preferred for engineering positions at NASA?

While there is no specific major required, NASA looks for candidates with a strong foundation in math and science, particularly in the fields of physics, chemistry, and calculus. Additionally, coursework in aerospace engineering, mechanical engineering, or computer science can be beneficial.

3. Do I need previous work experience to be considered for an engineering position at NASA?

While previous work experience in engineering is not a requirement, it can be beneficial. NASA values hands-on experience and looks for candidates who have completed internships, co-op programs, or research projects in engineering.

4. Are there any specific skills or qualities that NASA looks for in engineering candidates?

In addition to a strong educational background and relevant work experience, NASA also values candidates who possess excellent problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and attention to detail. Strong communication and teamwork skills are also important for success in engineering at NASA.

5. Are there any additional requirements or qualifications for engineering positions at NASA?

In addition to education, skills, and experience, engineering candidates at NASA must also be U.S. citizens and pass a thorough background check. Some positions may also require a security clearance, depending on the nature of the work.