Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nasty little beggars not only eat our home

1. Sep 20, 2006 #1

Gold Member

The nasty little beggars not only eat our homes, oh no, they have to try and kill us by global warminig .

Paul Eggleton, a scientist with Britain's Natural Environmental Research Council, announced last week that termite flatulence is responsible for as much as 20 percent of the world's methane. Eggleton said that each year termites release 88 million tons of methane as they chew through old leaves, trees, and soil. According to Eggleton, "It's a lot of methane, but there are a lot of termites."

I am studying a way to use termite gas to power motor vehicles, doe's any one know the termite mass to food ratio neede to produce a cubic yard of gas per hr?
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2006 #2

Science Advisor

I think it can be calculated by taking measurements at a familly reunion and scaling down.
  4. Sep 20, 2006 #3
    This won't work due to considerations uncovered in the follow-up study:

5. Sep 21, 2006 #4

Gold Member

Thanks Zooby, i did not know termites had feelings, it sort of makes them an even worse pest, it has given me another idea though, may be i can run my vehicle off of man made wood gas, (made by chemical means) i would not have to eat wood :yuck: Does any one know which trees are the most gas eous?
  6. Sep 21, 2006 #5

Gold Member

Maybe you should switch to cows. They are not at all embarrased about their flatulence, and if one or two of them fail to produce, you can eat them instead of eating wood. I'm not sure how you would keep them piped up, though. There's a lot of solid stuff coming out that same hole.:biggrin:
  7. Sep 21, 2006 #6
  8. Sep 21, 2006 #7

Gold Member

The gas used in dentistry is fun.
  9. Sep 21, 2006 #8
    you don't pipe the cows, you feed them rubber tree leaves and capture the gas in fart bubble balloons. I think
  10. Sep 21, 2006 #9

Gold Member

That's the old technology. Whenever solids came out instead of gases, the resulting product was marketed as medicine balls. The problem is that the medicine ball market can be saturated quite easily. How many medicine balls does any given gym need? That led to further innovation, such as pre-loaded whoopie cushions, but that craze soon died as well, leaving cattlemen with a valuable product that was so hard to market that it was literally slipping away from them.
  11. Sep 21, 2006 #10
    how the hack could one gather the termite's farts? this research is odd. methan can be gasthered from garbage sites... but thermites.. erg..

i have a friend who once lived in kenya, once they had a few temites in their house.
    the solution?
    they cooked them on a pan.

they must have pointed their index finger on the cooked temite, and sayed "the joke is on you!" and started devouring them...
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  12. Sep 21, 2006 #11
    it's easier to gather termite gas than cow gas.
    termites pipe themselves. cows rarely dig tunnels
  13. Sep 21, 2006 #12
    Apparently this is not quite true:

14. Sep 21, 2006 #13
    I agree 105%, but desire and ability are two different things. there is a huge difference between a sleeping cow and a bull dozer. I've never even herd of a cow pokeing it's head underground I'd steak my reputation on it.
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  15. Sep 21, 2006 #14
    I think this response demonstrates your essentially prosaic nature. Eggleton has a dream! Lets support the cow-operable backhoe. I hear a whisper in the cow pastures...

If you build it, they will tunnel!
  16. Sep 21, 2006 #15
    and if they don't, it's all right. i mean, no use crying over spilled milk.
  17. Sep 21, 2006 #16
    Apparently, this is not quite true:

18. Sep 22, 2006 #17
    How dairy you contradict me twice? You got some sort of beef with me or what? This sort of bull**** can not be good for me.<---silver platter
  19. Sep 22, 2006 #18
    Kine you please cud it out! You've milked this long enough. It's becoming udder nonsence!
  20. Sep 22, 2006 #19
    I had the milked and udder nonsence in reserve, cud it out cracked me up
  21. Sep 22, 2006 #20

Gold Member

I've had it with the bovine you! Knock it off!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?