National Bureau of Standards, 3 GEE Cal test

• Thread starter MosesMann
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Test
In summary, the 3GEE test was used to calibrate equipment for impact testing. It was a reliability test only, and is no longer in use.
MosesMann
In the early 70's, while in the US ARMY, I attended USAOC&S at/in Aberdeen Proving Grounds for the then NBS sponsored 44 week long (8 hrs/day for a full yr) school in calibration. One test we performed on specified CALIBRATION STANDARDS for tracability was called the "3 GEE test".

Can anyone tell me what this entailled, without my prompting, to prove to my smart-A son-n-law and self proclaimed "computologist" genious of its existence, purpose, and general usage.? <please>

Thanks to all, I've never posted anywhere but love the sometimes highly stylized manners in repudiation...love it!

Moses Mann
Utah

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a brain teaser ?
:confused:

3 GEE test

Kittel Knight said:
Is this a brain teaser ?
:confused:

In the same manner as "Rubick's Cube" titles the puzzle, so too does "3 GEE" title this real life puzzler.

moman

As others have probably already noticed, Googling "3 GEE test" gives one hit -- this page.

I guess my three Gee test question lost favor and flavor.

The three GEE, or 3G as it was referred to in 1973 by the old NBS, was one of the last tests performed on electronics and frequency generation standards prior to placing a sticker of certification of calibration traceable to the National bureau of standards. It was only used on standards and not general use test, repair, and operational equipment [field usage] .

Basically, once tweeked to spec, the equipment would be elevated at one front corner sufficient to produce three gravities [HENCE "3GEE's} of impact force, about 4 fingers or 2.5 to 3" on a flat granite mass of 500kgms or a solid cement floor known to be > 6 inchs with no crackswithin 6 yrds. All 4 corners were dropped sequntially, thusly, and checked after each drop, and the constancy of accuracy of the calibration could not vary +/- 1/10th of 3% of full scale, or exceed any spec after a 15 minute stabilization period.

Most "A" level standards had to be mounted with a "rolling-pin" device that would allow it to be rolled of for the free fall testing.

Today, the test is rarely used because of solid state components and sophisticated IC and Field Effect components, and tubes used only to maintain a required heating constant with conjuction with heat sinking.

This test was NOT A DURABILTY NOR TUFFNESS, RIGIDITY, OR FAILURE RATES TEST AKIN TO CONSUMERS REPORTS, ONLY THE RELIABILTY OF TRACEABILTY.

This is only the briefest of the tests performed, but gives general albeit not exact details.

Hope you get to try it some day. Today, NBS, the UNITED STATES ARMY CALIBRATION AND STANDARDS CORPS NO LONGER EXIST AS FORMALLY CONSTITUTED which makes finding references difficult to find.

Enjoy your new knowledge and understanding on the way things used to get done.

Moses Mann
Utah

Last edited:
NBS was superceded by NIST. Good luck in finding information about NBS tests from the 1970's or earlier.

Was the 3g test for calibrating an accelerometer? Was it related to impact testing?

NIST offers calibration services over a range of accelerations (g's), but nothing sounds like the '3 g test' described above.

One guy who might know, or possibly know who might is Patrick Walter.
http://www.sandv.com/downloads/0701walt.pdf
contact email on bottom of last page.

1. What is the National Bureau of Standards?

The National Bureau of Standards (NBS) was a federal agency in the United States responsible for developing and maintaining standards of measurement and quality control for commerce and science. It was founded in 1901 and renamed the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in 1988.

2. What is the purpose of the 3 GEE Cal test?

The 3 GEE Cal test is a calibration test designed by the NBS/NIST for electronic equipment used in the telecommunications industry. It ensures that the equipment is functioning properly and producing accurate measurements for signal strength and quality.

3. How often should the 3 GEE Cal test be performed?

The frequency of performing the 3 GEE Cal test varies depending on the specific equipment and industry standards. Generally, it is recommended to perform the test at least once a year or whenever the equipment is repaired or modified.

4. Is the 3 GEE Cal test mandatory?

The 3 GEE Cal test is not mandatory, but it is highly recommended for companies that want to ensure the accuracy and reliability of their electronic equipment. It is also often required by telecommunications regulatory bodies and industry organizations.

5. Can the 3 GEE Cal test be performed in-house?

Yes, the 3 GEE Cal test can be performed in-house by trained technicians using specialized equipment and software provided by NIST. However, some companies may choose to outsource the test to a certified calibration laboratory for more accurate and unbiased results.

Back