Natural Deduction - AvB |- BvA

• Thread starter temp_tsun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Natural
In summary: OR elimination)... (B OR A) ... (by OR introduction)To answer your question about using assumptions, in natural deduction, we can use any assumptions as long as they are discharged in the proof, except for the ones that are already given in the exercise.In summary, you can prove (A OR B) |- (B OR A) using natural deduction by assuming NOT(B OR A) and then using OR elimination and OR introduction rules to prove (B OR A). I hope this helps clarify things for you. Let me know if you have any other questions.Best regards,Expert Summarizer
temp_tsun
Introduction

Hello, I have some problems proving the following problem: "AvB |- BvA". I would like to prove this by using natural deduction only. (I know it is possible proving it using truth tables).

Syntaxis

To avoid confusion I will use the following syntaxis to show my problem.
- Capital letters are used for variables.
- Instead of the mathematically symbols like "v" which means OR, I will use OR (all capital to substitute the mathematical symbols (few examples: (A AND B), (NOT(A))).
- I use something that I would like to call a diagram proof and hopefully you can explain how to do it using my familiar proof technique. I will demonstrate some below.
- I use |- to represent the mathematical symbol. It means: "When a conclusion C is derived from a set of assumptions {A1, A2, A3, ... , An} we write {A1, A2, A3, ... , An} |- C".
- When discharging a assumption I prefer to use [A] arround the proposition.

Diagrams

Note: I will use dots to represent spacings.
Note: I will use as much brackets as I can to make everything clear.

{A AND B} |- (B AND A)

(A.AND.B)...(A.AND.B.)...(Assumption)
----------...---------
...B......A... (by AND elimination)
--------------------------
....B.AND.A.....(by AND introduction)

(please also add the rules used when explaining to me)

Problem Statement

Prove using natural deduction: (A OR B) |- (B OR A)

The attempt at a solution

Using proof by contradiction:
..............[NOT(B.OR.A)]...(Assumption)
............-------------------
AvB...[NOT(A)]....(Assumption)...NOT(B).AND.NOT(A).(Rewrite)
-----------------.........--------------------
.B.............NOT(B).....(AND elimination)
-------------------------------------------------------------------
.......(B.AND.NOT(B)).........(AND introduction)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
.......FALSE..........
--------------------------------------------------------------------
.........(B OR A).......(Proof by contradiction)

Is this correct? Because I've the feeling I'm missing something.

Questions

A few questions about natural deduction itself.
- Can I use every assumption as long I discharge them later in the proof? (except for those that are already given in the excersize?

Thanks for explaining everything.

Greetings TKM

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear TKM,

Thank you for your forum post. It's great to see that you are trying to prove the statement (A OR B) |- (B OR A) using natural deduction.

Your attempt at a solution is a good start, but there are a few things that need to be clarified. First, in natural deduction, we usually use the symbol "⊢" to represent the turnstile, instead of "⊣". This symbol is used to indicate that we are proving a statement from a set of assumptions. So, in this case, we would write (A OR B) ⊢ (B OR A).

Next, when using proof by contradiction, you need to start by assuming the opposite of what you are trying to prove. In this case, you want to prove (B OR A), so you need to assume NOT(B OR A). Also, when discharging an assumption, you should use a line above the proposition, not brackets around it. So, your proof should look like this:

(A OR B) ⊢ (B OR A)
Assume NOT(B OR A)
... AvB ... (Assumption)
... NOT(A) ... (Assumption)
... B ... (by OR elimination)
... A ... (by OR elimination)
... (B AND A) ... (by AND introduction)
... (B OR A) ... (by OR introduction)

This is a valid proof using natural deduction. However, there are a few things that can be improved. First, when using the AND introduction rule, you need to have both propositions on separate lines, not on the same line as you have written. So, it should look like this:

(A OR B) ⊢ (B OR A)
Assume NOT(B OR A)
... AvB ... (Assumption)
... A ... (by OR elimination)
... B ... (by AND introduction)
... A ... (by AND introduction)
... (B OR A) ... (by OR introduction)

Also, instead of using the AND elimination rule, you can use the OR introduction rule again to prove (B OR A). So, the proof would look like this:

(A OR B) ⊢ (B OR A)
Assume NOT(B OR A)
... AvB ... (Assumption)
... A ...

Hello TKM,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at a solution and your questions about natural deduction. I will try my best to address them and provide a response to your content.

Firstly, your diagram proof is a valid way to represent your proof, but I will also provide a more traditional natural deduction proof below for clarity.

Proof:

1. (A OR B) ...........................Assumption
2. [A] .................................Assumption
3. A ....................................And Elimination (2)
4. B OR A ..............................Or Introduction (3)
5. .................................Assumption
6. B ....................................And Elimination (5)
7. B OR A ..............................Or Introduction (6)
8. (B OR A) ............................Or Elimination (1, 2-4, 5-7)

Explanation:

1. We start with the assumption (A OR B), which is given in the problem statement.
2. We discharge the assumption (A) and use it to derive A.
3. Using the And Elimination rule, we can extract A from (A AND B).
4. Using the Or Introduction rule, we can introduce B OR A from A.
5. We then discharge the assumption (B) and use it to derive B.
6. Again, using the And Elimination rule, we extract B from (A AND B).
7. Using the Or Introduction rule, we introduce B OR A from B.
8. Finally, using the Or Elimination rule, we can derive (B OR A) from (A OR B), (2-4), and (5-7).

To answer your question about using every assumption, the answer is yes and no. You can use any assumption as long as it is consistent with the given statements and can be discharged later in the proof. However, there may be some assumptions that are not necessary or helpful in deriving the conclusion, so it is important to carefully consider which assumptions to use.

I hope this helps to clarify things for you. Good luck with your further studies in natural deduction!

1. What is Natural Deduction?

Natural Deduction is a proof system used in logic to show the validity of arguments. It involves using a set of rules and logical principles to derive conclusions from given premises.

2. What does "AvB |- BvA" mean?

The expression "AvB |- BvA" means that the statement "A or B implies B or A" is true. This is a logical tautology, meaning that it is always true regardless of the truth values of A and B.

3. How is Natural Deduction used to prove "AvB |- BvA"?

To prove "AvB |- BvA" using Natural Deduction, we use the rule of disjunction elimination (or Elim) and the rule of disjunction introduction (or Intro). These rules allow us to transform the given premise "AvB" into the conclusion "BvA".

4. What other logical principles are used in a Natural Deduction proof?

In addition to the rules of disjunction elimination and introduction, Natural Deduction also uses other logical principles such as modus ponens, modus tollens, conjunction introduction and elimination, and the law of excluded middle.

5. What are the advantages of using Natural Deduction?

Using Natural Deduction allows for a more intuitive and natural approach to proving arguments. It also helps to identify any hidden assumptions or fallacies in the argument. Moreover, Natural Deduction can be applied to various logical systems and is considered a more rigorous method of proof compared to other techniques.