Find Spring Constant \(k\) & Mass \(m\) for Natural Frequency

In summary, to solve for the spring constant \(k\) and mass \(m\) in a spring-mass system with a natural frequency of 2Hz and an additional mass of 1kg added, we can use equations (1) and (2) to find that \(k=\frac{16}{3}\pi^2\) and \(m=\frac{1}{3}\).
Dustinsfl
The natural frequency of a spring-mass system is found to be 2Hz. When an additional mass of 1kg is added to the original mass \(m\), the natural frequency is reduced to 1Hz. Find the spring constant \(k\) and mass \(m\).

Since the natural frequency is 2Hz, we have that \(\omega_n = 4\pi = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}\quad (1)\).

When 1kg is added, we have \(\omega_n = 2\pi = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m + 1}}\quad (2)\).

What I have is equation (1) with unknowns \(\sqrt{k}\) and \(\sqrt{m}\) if I write the equation as \(0 = \sqrt{k} - 4\pi\sqrt{m}\), and equation (2) with unknowns \(\sqrt{k}\) and \(\sqrt{m + 1}\) if I write the equation as \(0 = \sqrt{k} - 2\pi\sqrt{m + 1}\).

How can I reconcile these equations so I have two equations with the same two unknowns which will allow to solve for \(k\) and \(m\)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
The natural frequency of a spring-mass system is found to be 2Hz. When an additional mass of 1kg is added to the original mass \(m\), the natural frequency is reduced to 1Hz. Find the spring constant \(k\) and mass \(m\).

Since the natural frequency is 2Hz, we have that \(\omega_n = 4\pi = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m}}\quad (1)\).

When 1kg is added, we have \(\omega_n = 2\pi = \sqrt{\frac{k}{m + 1}}\quad (2)\).

What I have is equation (1) with unknowns \(\sqrt{k}\) and \(\sqrt{m}\) if I write the equation as \(0 = \sqrt{k} - 4\pi\sqrt{m}\), and equation (2) with unknowns \(\sqrt{k}\) and \(\sqrt{m + 1}\) if I write the equation as \(0 = \sqrt{k} - 2\pi\sqrt{m + 1}\).

How can I reconcile these equations so I have two equations with the same two unknowns which will allow to solve for \(k\) and \(m\)?

To solve for $k$ and $m$ from the equations
$$0 = \sqrt{k} - 4\pi\sqrt{m} \tag 1$$
and $$0 = \sqrt{k} - 2\pi\sqrt{m + 1} \tag 2$$
we could do the following:

$$(1) \Rightarrow \sqrt{k}=4 \pi \sqrt{m}$$

Replacing this at $(2)$ we have the following:

$$0=4 \pi \sqrt{m}-2 \pi \sqrt{m+1} \Rightarrow 2 \pi \sqrt{m+1}=4 \pi\sqrt{m} \Rightarrow \sqrt{m+1}=2\sqrt{m} \Rightarrow \left (\sqrt{m+1} \right )^2=\left (2\sqrt{m} \right )^2 \Rightarrow m+1=4m \Rightarrow 3m=1 \Rightarrow m=\frac{1}{3}$$

Replacing this at the relation $\displaystyle{\sqrt{k}=4 \pi \sqrt{m}}$ we get:

$$\sqrt{k}=4 \pi \sqrt{\frac{1}{3}} \Rightarrow \left (\sqrt{k}\right )^2=\left (4 \pi \sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}\right )^2 \Rightarrow k=\frac{16}{3}\pi^2$$

mathmari said:
To solve for $k$ and $m$ from the equations
$$0 = \sqrt{k} - 4\pi\sqrt{m} \tag 1$$
and $$0 = \sqrt{k} - 2\pi\sqrt{m + 1} \tag 2$$
we could do the following:

$$(1) \Rightarrow \sqrt{k}=4 \pi \sqrt{m}$$

Replacing this at $(2)$ we have the following:

$$0=4 \pi \sqrt{m}-2 \pi \sqrt{m+1} \Rightarrow 2 \pi \sqrt{m+1}=4 \pi\sqrt{m} \Rightarrow \sqrt{m+1}=2\sqrt{m} \Rightarrow \left (\sqrt{m+1} \right )^2=\left (2\sqrt{m} \right )^2 \Rightarrow m+1=4m \Rightarrow 3m=1 \Rightarrow m=\frac{1}{3}$$

Replacing this at the relation $\displaystyle{\sqrt{k}=4 \pi \sqrt{m}}$ we get:

$$\sqrt{k}=4 \pi \sqrt{\frac{1}{3}} \Rightarrow \left (\sqrt{k}\right )^2=\left (4 \pi \sqrt{\frac{1}{3}}\right )^2 \Rightarrow k=\frac{16}{3}\pi^2$$

thanks. That was pretty obvious. I was thinking about it all wrong.

1. What is the formula for calculating the natural frequency of a spring-mass system?

The formula for natural frequency is ω = √(k/m), where ω is the natural frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass.

2. How do I determine the value of the spring constant (k) in a spring-mass system?

The spring constant can be determined by applying a known force to the spring and measuring the resulting displacement. The value of k can then be calculated using the formula k = F/x, where F is the applied force and x is the displacement.

3. Can the mass (m) affect the natural frequency of a spring-mass system?

Yes, the mass of the object attached to the spring can affect the natural frequency. A heavier mass will result in a lower natural frequency, while a lighter mass will result in a higher natural frequency.

4. How does the natural frequency of a spring-mass system change if the spring is replaced with a stiffer one?

If the spring is replaced with a stiffer one, the natural frequency will increase. This is because a stiffer spring will have a higher spring constant (k), resulting in a larger value for ω in the natural frequency formula.

5. Is there a way to increase the natural frequency of a spring-mass system without changing the mass or the spring constant?

Yes, the natural frequency can be increased by changing the length of the spring. Shortening the spring will result in a higher natural frequency, while lengthening the spring will result in a lower natural frequency.