Is the nature of space and time still a mystery?

In summary: I think that it is still up for debate as to whether or not the nature of space and time is completely understood.
Curious6
Is the exact nature of space and time known to us yet?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Curious6 said:
What is the point of this question?

Just to spark a discussion. I would just like to know more about the nature of these two entities.

Curious6 said:
Just offhand, what do you guess is the answer to your question?

Haha, I have no idea, that is why I'm asking.

OK, I admit that this may sound as a silly question.

I think it's a valid question.

Is it a form of ether?
Is it a pure vacuum that various forms of energy pass though?
Is it something else?

I vote for number three.

I think space/time is a volume that reflects the various types of energy within.

If I've been a badboy for making this statement, just send me to TD.

"If entropy of ordinary mass (not just black holes) is also proportional to area, then this implies that volume itself is somehow illusory: that mass occupies area, not volume, and so the universe is really a hologram which is isomorphic to the information "inscribed" on its boundaries [Bekenstein]."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_principle

/:set\AI transmedia laboratories

http://setai-transmedia.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious6 said:

clearly it is not known

one way to interpret the question is to say "Do we know how to do geometry at all scales?"

People are not certain how to do geometry, I think, at very large scales because they do not confidently understand the shape of the universe.
No simple answer about what space was like a very long time ago---and so on---or how it curves if you go very far out in distance.

People are also not sure how to do geometry at very small scales.
It is difficult to see how to probe these very small scales, so as to discover if space is like what we experience at ordinary scale, or something different.

Perhaps also you could say people lack understanding of nature of space and time because they do not understand why it is bent by concentrations of mass and energy. Why should gravity bend space? One has the equation that says how it is bent, but no proposed mechanism to explain it.

to me the first obstacle seems to me that we lack understanding of spacetime at very small scales---the rest I would not want to worry about until the boundary of ignorance at microscopic scales is pushed back some more. but that is just a personal view

getting rid of the singularities of the Big Bang and Black Hole is one step in the direction of dealing with small scale, hopefully

No, I do not think the nature of space and time is completely understood. I feel that the theory of special relativity and general relativity are defenately a step in the right direction, but there are so many new theories coming out that have potential for describing the universe (i.e. string theory, holographic theory, etc.), that it is too early for me to decide if we have a definitve answer.

force5 said:
I think it's a valid question.

I vote for number three.
The only valid answers to this question are yes and no, and I don't think that anyone will answer with yes.

Related to Is the nature of space and time still a mystery?

1. What is the nature of space and time?

The nature of space and time is a fundamental question in physics and philosophy. Space is the three-dimensional extent in which objects and events exist and move, while time is the measure of the duration of events. According to Einstein's theory of general relativity, space and time are intertwined and form a four-dimensional construct known as spacetime.

2. Is space infinite or finite?

This is a topic of ongoing debate in the scientific community. Some theories suggest that space is infinite and has no boundaries, while others propose that space is finite and has a specific size or shape. Currently, there is no definitive answer and more research is needed to fully understand the nature of space.

3. How does time dilation work?

Time dilation is a phenomenon described by Einstein's theory of relativity, which states that time appears to pass slower for objects that are moving at high speeds or in strong gravitational fields. This means that time is not absolute and can be affected by factors such as velocity and gravity.

4. Can time travel be possible?

This is a highly debated topic in both science and science fiction. While some theories suggest that time travel may be possible using concepts like wormholes or time dilation, there is currently no scientific evidence to support the existence of time travel.

5. How does the concept of space and time affect our daily lives?

The concept of space and time has a profound impact on our daily lives, whether we realize it or not. Our understanding of space allows us to navigate and interact with our environment, while time allows us to measure and track events. The study of space and time also has practical applications, such as in GPS technology and satellite communications.