Necessary KE of particles to create a resulting particle in a collision

In summary, the intermediate vector boson Z with a rest mass energy of 91.187 GeV is produced in a collision of positrons and electrons e-+e->Z. For part a, each positron beam would need to have a kinetic energy of 91.187GeV/2 to create the Z particle, while for part b, all of the energy would have to come from the kinetic energy of the positrons. This makes sense, but in order to conserve momentum in the lab frame, the resulting Z boson cannot be at rest.
HarryO
Homework Statement
The intermediate vector boson Z with rest mass energy of 91.187 GeV is produced in a collision of positrons and electrons e-+e->Z

a.how much KE, must positrons in colliding symmetric beams have to produce the Z

b.suppose that a beam of positrons strike electrons that are at rest, what must the KE of the positrons be?
Relevant Equations
E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4
So I am making the assumption that the resulting particle Z is emitted at rest.
For part a I believe that since the two positron beams are symmetric they would each provide half of the energy to create the Z particle so the KE of each positron would be 91.187GeV/2, I am ignoring the rest energy of the positrons because it is so small.

for part b all of the energy would have to come from the KE of the positrons, once again ignoring the rest energy provided by the positrons and electrons, so would the KE just need to be 91.187GeV?

This makes sense to me but seems too easy.

Physics news on Phys.org
HarryO said:
Homework Statement:: The intermediate vector boson Z with rest mass energy of 91.187 GeV is produced in a collision of positrons and electrons e-+e->Z

a.how much KE, must positrons in colliding symmetric beams have to produce the Z

b.suppose that a beam of positrons strike electrons that are at rest, what must the KE of the positrons be?
Homework Equations:: E^2 = p^2c^2 + m^2c^4

So I am making the assumption that the resulting particle Z is emitted at rest.
For part a I believe that since the two positron beams are symmetric they would each provide half of the energy to create the Z particle so the KE of each positron would be 91.187GeV/2, I am ignoring the rest energy of the positrons because it is so small.

for part b all of the energy would have to come from the KE of the positrons, once again ignoring the rest energy provided by the positrons and electrons, so would the KE just need to be 91.187GeV?

This makes sense to me but seems too easy.

For part b), by conservation of momentum the resultant Z boson cannot be at rest (in the lab frame).

Likes Abhishek11235
Try writing 4-vector of Energy-momentum in CM frame.

1. What is necessary kinetic energy (KE) of particles in a collision?

The necessary kinetic energy of particles in a collision is the minimum amount of energy required for the particles to overcome any repulsive forces and form a resulting particle.

2. How is the necessary KE of particles calculated?

The necessary KE of particles is calculated using the conservation of energy equation, where the initial KE of the colliding particles must be equal to the sum of the final KE of the resulting particle and any energy lost to other forms, such as heat or sound.

3. Does the necessary KE of particles vary depending on the type of collision?

Yes, the necessary KE of particles can vary depending on the type of collision. For example, in an elastic collision, where no energy is lost to other forms, the necessary KE will be different compared to an inelastic collision where some energy is lost.

4. Can the necessary KE of particles change during a collision?

No, the necessary KE of particles is a constant value and does not change during a collision. However, the actual KE of the particles may change as a result of the collision and can be calculated using the conservation of energy equation.

5. How does the necessary KE of particles affect the outcome of a collision?

The necessary KE of particles determines whether a resulting particle will be formed or not. If the initial KE of the colliding particles is less than the necessary KE, no resulting particle will be formed. However, if the initial KE is equal to or greater than the necessary KE, a resulting particle will be formed.