Need a certain pulse-on-string simulator And an oscilloscope too

In summary, the individual is looking for a simulation that shows two pulses colliding and superposing, allowing for both in-phase and out-of-phase scenarios. Most importantly, the simulation must be able to run slowly and have the option to pause, as well as have enough detail for students to clearly see how the pulses add together. Additionally, the individual is also searching for a freezable Windows XP oscilloscope program that can capture and freeze a waveform from a plucked string or struck drum in order for students to calculate its period and frequency. One possible suggestion is to try using two water waves viewed through the side of a thin fish tank or clear container and filming it for playback.
Head_Unit
I've been looking around quite a bit, and can't find what I want:

1. Show two pulses colliding and superposing
2. In-phase or out-of-phase would be nice
3. Most importantly, to be able to run SLOWLY, so students can easily see how the two pulses build each other (or cancel)
3b. Ideally, to be able to pause the whole thing
4. Be nice if the pulses could be different sizes
5. Must have enough detail that students can clearly see how they add

Point #3 is where the couple dozen simulations I looked at fail. If I jiggle the parameters in the pHet string simulator, I can get slow, but it fails #5 because the detail is crude.

BONUS ROUND:
I've also been looking for a freezable Windows XP oscilloscope program. I want to be able to capture/freeze a waveform-like from a plucked string or struck drum-so that students can calculate the period from the scope scale and thus get the frequency.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried two water waves viewed through the side of a very thin fish tank or other clear container? You might be able to film it and play it back and get the result you are looking for.

FAQ: Need a certain pulse-on-string simulator And an oscilloscope too

1. What is a pulse-on-string simulator?

A pulse-on-string simulator is a device that generates a series of electrical pulses with specific characteristics, such as amplitude, frequency, and duration. This simulator is commonly used in electronic testing and research to mimic real-world conditions and analyze the behavior of electrical circuits.

2. Why do I need a pulse-on-string simulator?

A pulse-on-string simulator is useful for testing and troubleshooting electronic circuits. It allows you to simulate different pulse patterns and observe how the circuit responds. This can help identify any issues or flaws in the circuit design.

3. What is an oscilloscope and how does it work?

An oscilloscope is a measuring instrument that displays electrical signals as a graph. It works by receiving electrical signals and converting them into visual representations on a screen. This allows you to analyze the frequency, amplitude, and other characteristics of the signal.

4. Can I use any oscilloscope with a pulse-on-string simulator?

Yes, as long as the oscilloscope has the necessary features and capabilities to measure the electrical signals generated by the pulse-on-string simulator. It is important to check the specifications and compatibility of both devices before using them together.

5. How can a pulse-on-string simulator and an oscilloscope benefit my research?

These devices allow you to accurately simulate and analyze electrical signals, which is essential in many scientific fields, such as electronics, telecommunications, and physics. The data and insights gathered from using these devices can help improve the design and performance of electronic systems and devices.