Calculating CFM for a 4" to 3" PVC Pipe Reduction

• Thread starter CstmIndctn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cfm
In summary: RussIn summary, a 4" PVC pipe @ 4500fpm can withstand 220cfm, but shrinks to 390cfm when shrunk down to 3". Adding another smaller inlet pipe in addition to the 4" will increase the amount of air COMING INTO the 3".
CstmIndctn
Im trying to figure out the CFM on a certain project. To sum it up I am taking a 4" PVC Pipe and it is going into a 3" pvc pipe (had to shrink size due to bends and turns). My question is that if a 4" Pipe @ 4500 FPM can withstand 390CFM how will it be affected shrinking it down. Will it speed up the FPM for the 3" and make more CFM? Here is what I have

3" @ 4500fpm= 220cfm
4" @ 4500fpm= 390cfm

Will it increase velocity? If so, how can I calculate how much it increases to calculate the new CFM. How would it affect the outcome if I added another smaller inlet pipe in addition to the 4" to increase the amount of air COMING INTO the 3".

Thanks guys/gals!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The velocity will increase, so the airflow won't necessarily decrease quite so much, but that's an awful high velocity. What is the application? Generally, you can add up the total static pressure loss of a duct system and compare it to your fan curve to determine if you have the static pressure you need to get the airflow you want. Finding the static pressure of your system may be tough though because with such high velocities, every little fitting/elbow is going to create a huge loss. You're looking at needing a fan capable of generating 10" of static pressure, if not more.

PM sent russ

Hi Cstm,
Attached is a paper that discusses fluid flow through pipes. You can think of flow being driven by a pressure potential. It’s the pressure that is forcing the gas through the pipe. If the pressure is being generated by a fan or blower as Russ eludes to, then the pressure produced by that machine is dependant on flow as well. There is a pressure versus flow curve for the machine. But there are other situations such as a regulated source of air which provides a pressure which is independent of flow. In this case, the air regulator valve would open up more and increase flow in an attempt to maintain pressure.

If you provide more detail of what you are doing, it would help.

Attachments

• Pipe-Flo Pro.pdf
    105 KB · Views: 621
Basically I am designing an air intake that has to be a certain size (3 1/2") at the throttle body due to a coupe curves. My purpose is to get more air into the motor, however, it is limited at that point. I don't think there is any chance that the acutal pipe is filling up with air so I am tryin to get more air to it to make the velocity into the motor faster at a speed of 55mph (4840fpm) so I am make a 4" piping that pulls air from outside the engine bay as well as the existing hole on the intake itself to make more air available to be sucked threw the air filter/ intake. I have already done this to my truck and have noticed it helped a lot in fuel economy. Now I am curious as why and how, the amount of air, velocity, etc. =0)

Thanks for your help!

What is CFM and why is it important in pipe reduction calculations?

CFM stands for cubic feet per minute and it is a measure of the amount of air or fluid that can flow through a pipe in one minute. It is important in pipe reduction calculations because it helps determine the appropriate size of pipe needed for a specific flow rate.

What is the formula for calculating CFM for a 4" to 3" PVC pipe reduction?

The formula for calculating CFM for a 4" to 3" PVC pipe reduction is: CFM = (velocity in ft/min) x (cross-sectional area in square feet). The velocity can be determined using the Bernoulli's equation, and the cross-sectional area can be calculated using the radius of the pipes.

Are there any other factors that should be considered when calculating CFM for a 4" to 3" PVC pipe reduction?

Yes, there are other factors that should be taken into account when calculating CFM for a 4" to 3" PVC pipe reduction. These include the length of the pipe, the type of fluid or air being transported, and any obstructions or bends in the pipe that may affect the flow rate.

What is the standard CFM for a 4" to 3" PVC pipe reduction?

The standard CFM for a 4" to 3" PVC pipe reduction can vary depending on the specific application and the factors mentioned above. It is important to accurately calculate the CFM needed for the specific situation to ensure optimal performance of the pipe system.

Can I use online calculators to determine the CFM for a 4" to 3" PVC pipe reduction?

Yes, there are many online calculators available that can help determine the CFM for a 4" to 3" PVC pipe reduction. However, it is important to double check the results and make sure that all the necessary factors have been taken into consideration.