Need a topic

• Thread starter judonight
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

Ok, so I need a topic to present.

I am taking Quantum mechanics, introduction to astrophysics, and a seminar class... I need a topic for a 30-40 minute presentation for each class, and was wondering if there are any interesting topics that tie QM and astro together... thus, one presentation that I can do in all three classes.

I am welcome to any and all ideas!

Answers and Replies

cross sections.. advances in particle accelerator physics drive our understanding of stellar evolution. Or more simply, sunlight depends on quantum tunneling..

Interesting... thanks for the input!

Doing three presentations on one topic will make my life a lot less stressful! I am open to any topics you guys can come up with!

Last edited:
speaking of collisions - how 'bout ionisation loss?

A clear application would be to study the energy loss of fast-moving particles in high energy collision (eg. a high speed electron moving through a hydrogen cloud). The collision parameters involved vary from the quantum regime to the semiclassical - all with relativity mixed in.

This isn't so new, but interesting none-the-less. There's some math, but not out of reach.

I wouldn't be intimidated by most math...

I've had math through a second partial differential equations class... if it is beyond that, then, I suppose I could be intimidated!

No, just some integrals and inserting a whole assortment of estimates from various theories.

Look up books on high energy astrophysics.

Good luck.

Seminar

Maybe solve Shrodenger's equ. for "particle in a sphere" and compare this to Emden's eqn. ( when polytropic index = 2 ). The eqns. are practically identitical hence an interesting seminar.