Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need advices about my GP - Sketch Interpretation and Simulation tool

1. Sep 14, 2008 #1
    I am a computer science student in my final year, and preparing myself for my graduation project (GP).

Please check this video:
    This program is from MIT and it is called "A Shrewd Sketch Interpretation and Simulation Tool".

I am planning to develop a system that pretty much provide the same functionalities and features, the aim is to create a tool that allows the engineers to sketch a mechanical system as they would on paper, and then allow them to interact with the design as a mechanical system for example by seeing a simulation of the drawing.

Some Advantages:
    - An interface gives you the look and feel of paper and pen (instead of menus in CAD systems), helps you to be more creative and much easier in designing (Free environment)
    - Use computers in Early Design
    - Able to identify the mechanical parts in the user’s drawing
    - The user is able to sketch directly into the system that interprets his/her design, and would be able to simulate the sketch at any point in the design process and go right back to sketching

I am still in the searching and investigation stage, and because I do not have almost any knowledge/background about mechanical stuff, here I am asking for feedback(s) and advices.
    - Is this project will be useful for mechanical engineerings (it will be used to design kind of simple mechanical systems)?
    - What additional features/parts I could add?
    - Any comments/advices, will be most welcome.

I deeply value the time you put to read this long post.
    Kind regards,
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2008 #2
    Could anyone around there give me any opinion or advice?!! =(
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?