1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need assistance in Physics question relevant to Torque & Static equlibrium

1. Nov 9, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    tens.png

2. Relevant equations
    Static equilibrium: Net force & net torque = 0

3. The attempt at a solution
    attempt.jpg

Am i doing this correctly for part a?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 9, 2014 #2
    Are we to assume that there are no forces on the bolts?

4. Nov 9, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are introducing an extra quantity d1 into your calculations, which will be difficult to calculate. Find an expression for sin θ based on L and H for the gantry crane as shown in the diagram.

5. Nov 9, 2014 #4
    Either way even with replacing d1 with H, I still get Ft = (mgx+MgL/2) /(L sin(theta) ) . Am I on the right step?

6. Nov 9, 2014 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

d1 ≠ H, and the expression for sin θ is a little more complicated than that. Your expression for FT is correct.

7. Nov 9, 2014 #6
    If I can't call the line of the pivot point perpendicular to the cable d1, what should I call it? I'm a little confused on what you mean. Isn't that all I'm looking for anyways: the tension in the cable as a function of the load position x? - which was the expression i found?. :/

8. Nov 9, 2014 #7
    Yes, it's absolutely fine. But can you express sin theta in terms of H and L ?

9. Nov 9, 2014 #8
    Yes you would get sin(theta) = H/L ----> H=Lsin(theta). So then my final answer would be Ft = (mgx+MgL/2) /(L sin(theta) ) ----> Ft = (mgx+MgL/2) /(H). Much better I hope? :]

10. Nov 9, 2014 #9

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There's another triangle (which you are overlooking) which can give you an expression for sin θ. (Hint: the cable holding the support arm forms the hypotenuse of this triangle)

11. Nov 9, 2014 #10
    Nope. Try again.

12. Nov 9, 2014 #11
    The only triangle I see is the top triangle and bottom triangle and the triangle on the left with d1.

sin theta = H/L

How else can you derive the sin theta?

13. Nov 9, 2014 #12

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

sin θ is not H / L. You should review your trigonometry, especially the definitions of the sine, the cosine, and the tangent.

14. Nov 10, 2014 #13
    Sorry about that, sin theta = H / sqrt (L^2 + H^2) :D

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted