Need assistance with Derivative/Intregal Problem

• Thread starter tangents
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assistance
In summary, Hoot removes sand from the beach at a certain rate and it is possible to find the rate of change of sand at any given time.
tangents
Hey guys, I was doing some practice free response questions for my upcoming AP Calc AB test but was somehwhat unsure of this one.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sand is removed from the beach at a certain rate by this function
R(t)= 2+5SIN(4t(pi)/25)

Sand is pumped into the beach with this equation
S(t)=15t/1+3t

Both functions are in cubic yards per hour and the interval of t is from [0,6].
A t=0, there is 2500 cubic feet of sand

a) how much sand will be removed in the 6hr period?
Here I took the integral of R(t) from 0 to 6 which came out to be 31.816 subic yards

b) write an expression for Y(t), the total number of sand on the beat at time t
I came up with Y(t)=2500-(intregal of R(T)+s(t)) from 0 to6

c) find the rate of change of sand at t=4
this was taking the derivative of the equation in part b which came to be about -1.91 cubic yd/hr

d) for [0,6], at what time t is the amount of sand on the beach minimum? what is that value? justify answer
This one I am having trouble with but I graphed the dervative and found x=3 to be when the graph was at its lowest point, although I'm not sure if that is correct.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Any help is appreciated/assistance is greatly appreciated.
Hope you guys have a good day .

Physics news on Phys.org
Question (b) I think it should be

[tex]Y(t) = 2500 + \int S(t) \;\; dt - \int R(t) \;\; dt [/tex]

As an indefinate integral.

Regards,
~Hoot

R(t)= 15t/1+ 3t? Isn't that the same as 18t? Is it possible that you meant 15t/(1+ 3t)?
In (b) the integral is not from 0 to 6, it's from 0 to t:
[tex]Y(t)= 2500+ \int_0^t (S(x)- R(x))dx[/tex]
or equivalently
[tex]Y(t)= 2500+ \int_0^t S(x)dx- \int_0^tR(x)dx[/tex]

c) Of course, the derivative of the integral is just
S(t)- R(t). Equivalent to your answer is S(4)- R(4)=
[tex]2+ 5(sin((4)(4)(\pi)/25)- 60/(1+ 12)[/tex]
which is approximately 1.91.

d) A maximum or minimum occurs either at an endpoint (t= 0 or t= 6) or where the derivative is 0. Once again, the derivative is S(t)- R(t)=
[tex]2+ 5(sin(4t\pi/25)- \frac{15}{1+ 3t}[/tex].
You may need to graph that to see where it is 0- that's not going to have a simple "algebraic" solution.

Just a few questions. The integral is S(x)-R(x) and not the other way around? also Hallsof Ivy I think you switched the values of s(t) and r(t) in parts C and D =). Thank you guys are helping me out I kind of knew what to do but just couldn't get it on paper. ^_^

Ok for Part D I graphed S(t)-R(t). At x=0 y=-2, which doesn't make sense how much sand there is. At x=6 I get y=2.1 and x= 5.1 is a zero. But these values are too small as the original amount of sand is 2500 subic yards. Am I supposed to plug those three values into the original equation of part b and see which ones gives the lowest value?

Yes, S(t) is sand being removed so it contributes to the 'change in the sand' -S(t). R(t) is sand being added so it contributes to the 'change in the sand' + R(t) dY/dt= R(t)- S(t).

oh ok I get what you're saying now.
Just one last question if anyone can confirm but for part D, I found the zero of teh derivative to be 5.13, I know it's a minimum because the graph changes from negative to positive. So Now I plug that into my original equation like this?: y(x)=2500+Integral [S(t) from 0 to 5.1(?)] - [integral R(x) from 0 to 5.1(?)]? I just want to make sure this is correct because it's the only way I can think of solving it

What is a derivative?

A derivative is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function. In other words, it tells us how fast the output of a function is changing with respect to its input.

What is an integral?

An integral is the inverse operation of a derivative. It is used to find the original function when given its rate of change. It also represents the area under a curve on a graph.

Why do we need derivatives and integrals?

Derivatives and integrals are essential tools in mathematics and various fields of science. They allow us to model and understand real-world phenomena, make predictions, and solve complex problems.

How do you solve derivative and integral problems?

To solve derivative and integral problems, you need to have a solid understanding of the concepts and their properties. You also need to know various rules and techniques such as the power rule, chain rule, and substitution.

What are some real-life applications of derivatives and integrals?

Derivatives and integrals have many real-life applications, including calculating rates of change in physics, finding optimal solutions in economics, and predicting future values in finance. They are also used in engineering, biology, and many other fields.

Back