How Do Work-Energy Principles Apply When Potential Energy Changes?

• Thread starter henry3369
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Work
In summary, equation (1) is always correct as long as all forces are taken into account, and equation (2) is not always smaller than Wnet and Wnc is not always zero when Wnet is zero. An example of this is a block sliding down an incline with friction.
henry3369
(1) Wnet = ΔK
(2) Wnc = ΔE

1. Is equation (1) always correct even if the potential energy of the object is also changing? A
2. Is equation (2) always going to have a small value than Wnet? And is Wnc always 0 if Wnet is zero?

Physics news on Phys.org
henry3369 said:
1. Is equation (1) always correct even if the potential energy of the object is also changing?
Yes, as long as you include the work done by ALL forces acting. This is the so-called "work-energy" theorem. (There are some subtleties, which I won't confuse you with.)

henry3369 said:
2. Is equation (2) always going to have a small value than Wnet?
No.

henry3369 said:
And is Wnc always 0 if Wnet is zero?
No.

Example: Imagine a block sliding down an incline at constant speed. (Friction is obviously acting.) The net work including all forces will be zero. But the work done by friction (the non-conservative force in this example) will not be zero.

Related to How Do Work-Energy Principles Apply When Potential Energy Changes?

What does "need clarification about work" mean?

"Need clarification about work" refers to a request for further explanation or details about a particular task or project in the context of a job or research position.

Why is it important to seek clarification about work?

Seeking clarification about work is important because it ensures that you have a clear understanding of what is expected of you and helps to prevent misunderstandings or mistakes. It also shows your commitment to the task and your willingness to communicate effectively with your colleagues or supervisor.

How should I go about asking for clarification about work?

The best way to ask for clarification about work is to approach your supervisor or colleague in a polite and professional manner. Be specific about what you need clarification on and ask for examples or further explanation if needed. It's also important to actively listen and take notes to ensure that you fully understand the information provided.

What should I do if I still don't understand after seeking clarification?

If you still don't understand after seeking clarification, it's important to ask follow-up questions or request for a demonstration to help clarify your understanding. It's also helpful to review any relevant materials or guidelines provided to see if they can provide further context.

How often should I seek clarification about work?

The frequency of seeking clarification about work may vary depending on the complexity of the task and your level of understanding. However, it's generally recommended to seek clarification whenever you feel uncertain or confused about a particular task or project. It's always better to ask for clarification sooner rather than later to avoid any potential issues or delays in your work.