Need explanation about magnetic forces

In summary, the video explains how the magnet is propelled to the end of the coil with a huge force due to the interaction between the induced magnetic field and the permanent magnets. This is made possible by the conductive coating on the magnets and the high current flowing through the copper coil. The use of a solenoid instead of a motor also contributes to the efficiency of the mechanism. Additionally, the video clarifies that the car itself does not have any magnets or batteries, but instead relies on a winding mechanism.
unplebeian
Hi,

I saw this video and I can't explain why the magnet is propelled to the end of the coil with such a huge force. Can someone explain it in clear terms. I also tried to use Flemings left hand (or right hand) rule but it did not give me a satisfactory answer.

Thanks,
SM

Physics news on Phys.org
Magnets are typically coated in conductive metal, like nickel, for extended durability. Even if themselves not conductive, their metallic coating will conduct electricity from the battery to the copper coil. The current will flow between + and - through the coil, creating a magnetic field in the process:
electricity-navy-basics-97-jpg.jpg

The induced magnetic field will interact with the permanent magnets, propelling the battery assembly forward.

Likes davenn and Dale
unplebeian said:
with such a huge force.
Well, the car has the whole of its motor on board and needs to get power via the braid 'brushes' (contacts). That limits the current available to the motor. The magnet (solenoid) is much less subtle; it can have very fat wire for its coils and be supplied with a lot of current without the problem of brushes. Also the force is applied direct to the magnet and no gears / transmission system is there to affect the efficiency. It is, perhaps, not a fair fight. :smile:

Some batteries can deliver quite a lot of power into a low resistance load.

I think the car is wind-up (aka clockwork)?

CWatters said:
I think the car is wind-up (aka clockwork)?

yes ... there is no magnetic field or batteries involved in the car ... you can see him winding up the spring
at around 2 min20sec

just the battery and magnets in the copper tube example
and @Bandersnatch has explained how that works

Bandersnatch said:
Magnets are typically coated in conductive metal, like nickel, for extended durability. Even if themselves not conductive, their metallic coating will conduct electricity from the battery to the copper coil. The current will flow between + and - through the coil, creating a magnetic field in the process:
View attachment 205415
The induced magnetic field will interact with the permanent magnets, propelling the battery assembly forward.
Thanks. That makes a lot of sense and also explains why an initial nudge is required to start the mechanism that propels the magnet all the way to the other end.

1. What is a magnetic force?

A magnetic force is a force that is exerted between two magnetic objects. It is caused by the interaction of magnetic fields, which are created by the movement of electrically charged particles.

2. How does a magnetic force work?

A magnetic force works by attracting or repelling two magnetic objects based on their polarity. Objects with opposite poles (north and south) will be attracted to each other, while objects with the same poles will repel each other.

3. What are some examples of magnetic forces in everyday life?

Some examples of magnetic forces in everyday life include refrigerator magnets, compasses, and MRI machines. These objects all use the force of magnets to function.

4. What factors affect the strength of a magnetic force?

The strength of a magnetic force depends on the distance between the two objects, the strength of the magnetic fields, and the orientation of the objects' poles.

5. How are magnetic forces related to electromagnetism?

Magnetic forces are related to electromagnetism because they are both caused by the movement of electrically charged particles. Electromagnetism is a broader concept that also includes electric forces, while magnetic forces specifically refer to the forces between two magnetic objects.