Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Need guidance on epoxy resins

1. Jun 8, 2015 #1
    Hi guys,

I recently got my hands dirty renovating my house. Learned a lot.

I want to fix a floor in one room, want to try epoxy resin for this. Surprisingly, googling was less than satisfactory. Yes, I got it, many epoxy resins are wonderful and there are gazillions of them. That's not detailed enough for me.

And local construction materials stores' people have proven to be not too knowledgeable in the past. Asking them complex questions does not produce meaningful results.

Does anyone know a good place to learn "in depth" about epoxy resins? Like, which are curing fast and slow? How to control it? Are there some which have low viscosity in uncured state? (Sort of important for floor leveling). Toxicity? Shrinkage? Etc...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2015 #2

tech99

Gold Member

All the information you are asking is available from manufacturers of marine epoxy, and of course, it works well with timber in boat building, usually in conjunction with fillers or glass fibre cloth. But I would be very careful about using exotic materials for houses - things have so often given trouble in the past. The resin by itself has no strength, incidentally. I think it is often better to improve a floor by placing something like thick plywood over it.

4. Jun 10, 2015 #3
    Every manufacturer tends to just praise their product...

5. Jul 14, 2015 #4
    you can look up the msds for the chemicals used, or look up the toxicity of them. a lot of the information should be on the datasheets.

6. Jul 14, 2015 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What does "fix a floor" mean here?

There are many things which can go wrong with a floor.

You should describe what problem you are trying to solve by using epoxy on a floor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook