Need Help: 2V DC to 2V AC conversion at 1 MHz

In summary: Amplitude modulation of a function generator. Sorry for not conceiving of this approach from the very first.best regards,In summary, this person is looking for a way to convert a DC signal to an AC signal with an amplitude of approximately the same voltage at let's say 1 MHz. They found that PSW inverters are not suitable and that amplitude modulation is a better option.
ju.hu.
Hi at all,

I need to convert a DC signal ranging from -2 V to +2V to a AC signal with an amplitude of approximately the same voltage at let's say 1 MHz. The frequency can vary but has be higher than 10 kHz. I looked for PSW inverters but didn't found any suitable.

Our intention is to record a DC signal (between -2 V and +2V) with an AC coupled DAQ card (Cut-Off 10 kHz).

best regards and thanks in advance

Markus

Engineering news on Phys.org
PS: the desired conversion should look like this:
20150903_DCtoAC.png

ju.hu. said:
PS: the desired conversion should look like this:View attachment 88163
This looks like a job for Amplitude Modulation.

There are lots of potential problems, but it's a very mature technology. Read up on it and if you have questions, ask here.

Likes sophiecentaur
Thanks for the quick reply. Problem is solved:

Built-in amplitude modulation of a function generator. Sorry for not conceiving of this approach from the very first.

best

re that image attached to post #2

How will you tell sign ? AC wave for -2 looks just like +2's to me.

Regarding its magnitude: yes, but it is phase shifted by 180°

ju.hu. said:
Hi at all,

I need to convert a DC signal ranging from -2 V to +2V to a AC signal with an amplitude of approximately the same voltage at let's say 1 MHz. The frequency can vary but has be higher than 10 kHz. I looked for PSW inverters but didn't found any suitable.

Our intention is to record a DC signal (between -2 V and +2V) with an AC coupled DAQ card (Cut-Off 10 kHz).

best regards and thanks in advance

Markus

Seems like a pretty awkward way to digitize that signal. Why are you doing it that way? There are lots of ways to do an isolated ADC arrangement...

Regarding the system inwhich we would like to implement this DC to AC conversion, another signal defines the acquisition (rate, coupling, ...). Thus, this DC signal needs to be converted to match the acquisition parameters.

ju.hu. said:
Regarding the system inwhich we would like to implement this DC to AC conversion, another signal defines the acquisition (rate, coupling, ...). Thus, this DC signal needs to be converted to match the acquisition parameters.

Is this a school assignment meant to teach you some particular skills, as opposed to a real life design where you would want to optimize the design? Your description of the problem to be solved is quite obscure so far, I must say.

Sure, but this is just because you don't have any information about our system, which in general is not needed for solving the issue of converting a "DC signal (...) to a AC signal" as asked at the beginning.

Finally, problem is solved; thanks a lot.

ju.hu. said:
Sure, but this is just because you don't have any information about our system, which in general is not needed for solving the issue of converting a "DC signal (...) to a AC signal" as asked at the beginning.

Perhaps, but too often inexperienced engineers go down the wrong path trying to design a solution. What they come up with is not as reliable and accurate as could be obtained with a better solution. Isolated ADC conversion is a very proven technology, and likely cheaper and more accurate than the design you have chosen. Just an FYI that is often better to take a step back and look at the overall system when designing circuits. :smile:

function generator was available - no need to design circuits and loose time and money for the tests we wanted to perform.

1. How can I convert 2V DC to 2V AC at 1 MHz?

To convert 2V DC to 2V AC at 1 MHz, you will need an inverter. An inverter is an electronic device that converts DC power to AC power. You can purchase an inverter or build one yourself using a circuit design.

2. What is the frequency of the AC output in this conversion?

The frequency of the AC output in this conversion is 1 MHz. This is a relatively high frequency and requires specialized equipment to achieve.

3. Can I use a regular transformer for this conversion?

No, a regular transformer is not suitable for converting DC to AC at high frequencies. You will need a specialized high-frequency transformer, or a more efficient alternative such as an inverter.

4. Are there any safety concerns when converting DC to AC at high frequencies?

Yes, there are safety concerns when working with high frequencies. It is important to follow proper safety precautions and use specialized equipment to avoid electric shocks or other hazards.

5. What are some common applications for converting DC to AC at 1 MHz?

Converting DC to AC at 1 MHz is commonly used in high-frequency power supplies, audio and radio frequency amplifiers, and in industrial applications such as welding and heating. It is also used in some medical equipment and research experiments.